Stephen L. Harris
|This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (March 2017)|
|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Stephen L. Harris (born 1937) is Professor Emeritus of Humanities and Religious Studies at California State University, Sacramento. He served there ten years as department chair and was named a Woodrow Wilson Fellow. He received his MA and PhD degrees from Cornell University. Harris is a member of the American Academy of Religion, a fellow at the Westar Institute, was a fellow of the controversial Jesus Seminar, and has authored several books on religion, some of which are used in introductory university courses.
He also has a strong interest in some geological topics. Harris grew up in western Washington state where the views of Mount Rainier inspired what has become a lifelong interest in the eruptive potential of the volcanoes in the Cascade Mountain range.
Harris teaches an adult education class on "Evolving Concepts of God" at St. Mark's Methodist Church, Sacramento, using his text, The Old Testament: An Introduction to the Hebrew Bible.
- Harris, Stephen L. (2009). Exploring the Bible. McGraw-Hill. p. 480. ISBN 978-0-07-340736-4.
- Harris, Stephen L. (2008). The New Testament: A Student's Introduction. McGraw-Hill. p. 528. ISBN 978-0-07-287601-7.
- Harris, Stephen L.; Platzner, Robert (2007). The Old Testament: An Introduction to the Hebrew Bible. McGraw-Hill. p. 528. ISBN 978-0-07-299051-5.
- Harris, Stephen L.; Platzner, Gloria (2007). Classical Mythology: Images and Insights. McGraw-Hill. p. 1152. ISBN 978-0-07-353567-8.
- Harris, Stephen L. (2005). Fire Mountains of the West: The Cascade and Mono Lake Volcanoes. Roadside Geology Series (3 ed.). Missoula, Mont.: Mountain Press Publishing Company. p. 454. ISBN 978-0-87842-220-3.
- Harris, Stephen L. (2000). "Archaeology and Volcanism". In Haraldur Sigurdsson; Bruce Houghton; Hazel Rymer; John Stix; Steve McNutt. Encyclopedia of Volcanoes. San Diego, Cal.: Academic Press. pp. 1301–1314. ISBN 978-0-12-643140-7.
- Harris, Stephen L. (1990). Agents of Chaos: Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Other Natural Disasters. Missoula, Mont.: Mountain Press Publishing Company. p. 260.
- Harris, Stephen L. (1985). Understanding the Bible. Palo Alto, Cal.: Mayfield.
- Harris, Stephen L. (1980). Fire & Ice: The Cascade Volcanoes. Seattle, Wash.: The Mountaineers and Pacific Search Press. ISBN 0-89886-009-1.
- Restless Earth.(National Geographic Books)
- Harris, Stephen L. Author's Website. July 28, 2009. Stephenharrisauthor.com