Macedo in 2016
|Alma mater||Princeton University|
He earned his B.A. at the College of William and Mary, Master's degrees at the London School of Economics and Oxford University, and his M.A. and Ph.D. at Princeton University. He was an early member of the Oxford Hayek Society.
Macedo began his teaching career with the Harvard University Government Department. Next, he held the Michael O. Sawyer chair at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs of Syracuse University, before taking the position he currently holds at Princeton University.
He writes and teaches on political theory, ethics, American constitutionalism, and public policy, with an emphasis on liberalism, justice, and the roles of schools, civil society, and public policy in promoting citizenship. He served as founding director of Princeton's Program in Law and Public Affairs (1999-2001). He recently served as vice president of the American Political Science Association and Chair of its first standing committee on Civic Education and Engagement, and in this capacity he is principal co-author of Democracy at Risk: Public Policy and the Renewal of American Citizenship.
- Macedo, Stephen (1991). Liberal virtues: citizenship, virtue, and community in liberal constitutionalism. Oxford New York: Clarendon Press Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198278726.
- Macedo, Stephen (2000). Diversity and distrust: civic education in a multicultural democracy. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press. ISBN 9780674011236.
- Macedo, Stephen; Young, Iris Marion (2003). Child, family, and state. New York: New York University Press. ISBN 9780814756829. (Conference proceedings)
- Macedo, Stephen; Wolf, Patrick J. (2004). Educating citizens international perspectives on civic values and school choice. Washington, D.C: Brookings Institution Press. ISBN 9780815795179.
- Macedo, Stephen (2006). Universal jurisdiction: National courts and the prosecution of serious crimes under international law. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. ISBN 9780812219500.
- Macedo, Stephen; Murphy, Walter F.; Fleming, James E.; Barber, Sotirios A. (2014). American constitutional interpretation (5th ed.). St. Paul, Minnesota: Foundation Press. ISBN 9781609301422.
- "History". Oxford Hayek Society. Retrieved 2020-02-06.