Stephen Metcalfe (politician)
|Member of Parliament
for South Basildon and East Thurrock
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Angela Evans Smith|
9 January 1966 |
Walthamstow, London, England
Stephen James Metcalfe (born 9 January 1966) is a Conservative Party politician in the United Kingdom, who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for South Basildon and East Thurrock since May 2010.
Early and personal life
Metcalfe is married to Angela, with whom he has two children. Before becoming an MP, Metcalfe worked in the family printing business, where his wife continues to work.
He was an Epping Forest District councillor and was portfolio holder for Customer Services, ICT & E-government until he stood down in order to concentrate on his campaign to be elected as an MP. As a councillor he campaigned on issues including green belt protection, the introduction of traffic calming schemes as well as working with communities to find ways of engaging the young.
In 2012 Metcalfe was named by Conservative Home as one of a minority of loyal Conservative backbench MPs not to have voted against the government in any significant rebellions. He was subsequently one of 136 Conservative MPs to oppose the third reading of the Coalition's Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013.
He is a Vice-President of the House of Commons Debating Group.
- "Steve Metcalfe MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Who's Who". Ukwhoswho.com. Retrieved 2015-05-22.
- The London Gazette: . 13 May 2010.
- "'Stephen Metcalfe". Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Morris, Stephen (7 May 2010). "'Essex Man' returns to the Tory fold". London: The Independent. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Barrett, Matthew. "The 24 Conservative MPs who are still on the backbenches and have never rebelled". Conservative Home. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- "The Debating Group". The Debating Group. 2014-03-24. Retrieved 2015-05-22.