Stephen Muggleton 2010
|Born||6 December 1959|
|Alma mater||University of Edinburgh|
|Thesis||Inductive acquisition of expert knowledge (1987)|
|Doctoral advisor||Donald Michie|
Stephen H. Muggleton FBCS, FIET, FAAAI,FECCAI, FSB, FREng (born 6 December 1959, son of Louis Muggleton) is Professor of Machine Learning and Head of the Computational Bioinformatics Laboratory at Imperial College London.
Following his PhD, Muggleton went on to work as a postdoctoral research associate at the Turing Institute in Glasgow (1987–1991) and later an EPSRC Advanced Research Fellow at Oxford University Computing Laboratory (OUCL) (1992–1997) where he founded the Machine Learning Group. In 1997 he moved to the University of York and in 2001 to Imperial College London.
Muggleton's research interests are primarily in Artificial intelligence. From 1997–2001 he held the Chair of Machine Learning at the University of York and from 2001–2006 the EPSRC Chair of Computational Bioinformatics at Imperial College in London. Since 2013 he holds the Syngenta/Royal Academy of Engineering Research Chair as well as the post of Director of Modelling for the Imperial College Centre for Integrated Systems Biology. He is known for founding the field of Inductive logic programming. In this field he has made contributions to theory introducing predicate invention, inverse entailment and stochastic logic programs. He has also played a role in systems development where he was instrumental in the systems Duce, Cigol, Golem, Progol and Metagol  and applications — especially biological prediction tasks.
He worked on a Robot Scientist together with Ross D. King that is capable of combining Inductive Logic Programming with active learning. His present work concentrates on the development of Meta-Interpretive Learning, a new form of Inductive Logic Programming which supports predicate invention and learning of recursive programs.
- http://www.raeng.org.uk/about/fellowship/fellowslist.htm List of Fellows of the Royal Academy of Engineering
- Stephen Muggleton's publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Stephen Muggleton at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Moyle, Stephen Anthony (2003). An investigation into theory completion techniques in inductive logic programming (PhD thesis). University of Oxford.
- Santos, Jose Carlos Almeida (2010). Efficient learning and evaluation of complex concepts in inductive logic programming (PhD thesis). Imperial College London.
- http://www.raeng.org.uk/research/researcher/chairs/currentapp.htm Research Chairs: Current and Recently Completed at the Royal Academy of Engineering
- "Professor Stephen H. Muggleton". Academic staff list. Imperial College. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- Stephen Muggleton at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Grants awarded to Stephen Muggleton by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
- Stephen Muggleton's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database, a service provided by Elsevier. (subscription required)
- Srinivasan, A.; Muggleton, S.H.; Sternberg, M.J.E.; King, R.D. (1996). "Theories for mutagenicity: A study in first-order and feature-based induction". Artificial Intelligence. 85: 277. doi:10.1016/0004-3702(95)00122-0.
- Stephen Muggleton author profile page at the ACM Digital Library
- Muggleton, Stephen (1987). Inductive acquisition of expert knowledge (PhD thesis). University of Edinburgh.
- Muggleton, S. (1997). "Learning from positive data". Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 1314: 358–376. doi:10.1007/3-540-63494-0_65.
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- Muggleton, S. (1999). "Scientific knowledge discovery using inductive logic programming". Communications of the ACM. 42 (11): 42. doi:10.1145/319382.319390.
- "Prof Stephen Muggleton". The Royal Institution of Great Britain. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- Muggleton, S. (1991). "Inductive logic programming". New Generation Computing. 8 (4): 295–318. doi:10.1007/BF03037089.
- Muggleton S.H. "Inductive Logic Programming", Academic Press, 1992.
- Muggleton, S. (1995). "Inverse entailment and progol". New Generation Computing. 13 (3–4): 245–286. doi:10.1007/BF03037227.
- Muggleton, S.; De Raedt, L. (1994). "Inductive Logic Programming: Theory and methods". The Journal of Logic Programming. 19-20: 629–679. doi:10.1016/0743-1066(94)90035-3.
- Muggleton, S.; Page, D.; Srinivasan, A. (1997). "An initial experiment into stereochemistry-based drug design using inductive logic programming". Inductive Logic Programming. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 1314. p. 23. ISBN 978-3-540-63494-2. doi:10.1007/3-540-63494-0_46.
- "Golem". AI Japanese Institute for Science. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- Muggleton, S. H.; Lin, D.; Tamaddoni-Nezhad, A. (2015). "Meta-interpretive learning of higher-order dyadic datalog: Predicate invention revisited". Machine Learning. 100: 49–73. doi:10.1007/s10994-014-5471-y.
- King, R. D.; Whelan, K. E.; Jones, F. M.; Reiser, P. G. K.; Bryant, C. H.; Muggleton, S. H.; Kell, D. B.; Oliver, S. G. (2004). "Functional genomic hypothesis generation and experimentation by a robot scientist". Nature. 427 (6971): 247–252. PMID 14724639. doi:10.1038/nature02236.
- "What computing can teach biology, and vice versa". The Economist. 2007-07-12. Retrieved 2010-08-08.(subscription required)