Stephen Mulhern in 2008
|Born||Stephen Daniel Mulhern
4 April 1977
Stratford, London, England
|Occupation||Television presenter, Entertainer, Magician|
|Employer||ITV, Heart Radio|
Britain's Got More Talent
Big Star's Little Star
Get Your Act Together
|Parent(s)||Maureen and Christopher|
Mulhern has presented the ITV2 spin-off series Britain's Got More Talent since 2007 and has more recently presented ITV game shows including Catchphrase (2013–present) and Big Star's Little Star (2013–present) as well as variety show Get Your Act Together (2015). He also co-hosts the Sunday breakfast programme on Heart Radio, alongside Emma Willis.
Mulhern is the third of four children of Irish parents, Maureen (née Reid) and Christopher Mulhern, who were both market traders. He has two older brothers and a younger sister. Mulhern attended St Bonaventure's Catholic Comprehensive School in Forest Gate, Newham.
He became interested in comedy and magic from his father, who would teach him a trick before bedtime when he was 13 years old. The family would spend their summer holidays at Butlin's Minehead in Somerset, where Mulhern first began performing in public. He became the youngest member of The Magic Circle, which brought about an appearance on Blue Peter in a piece for Harry Houdini's 100th birthday.
After leaving school, he created a magic show under the title Stephen's Mega Mad Magic Show. He spent two summers working as a Butlins Redcoat in Minehead, got winter jobs at Hamleys and Harrods - where he met Princess Diana - all whilst also auditioning for television appearances. Turned down at age 18 by Michael Barrymore for My Kind of People, he won a TV talent show hosted by Jonathan Ross, and as a result in 1997 aged 20 was invited to take part in the Royal Variety Performance at the Victoria Palace Theatre, performing in front of HM Queen Elizabeth II.
He then released a number of children's magic sets and videos, and got jobs on the Disney channel, and then to Children’s ITV alongside Holly Willoughby on Saturday Showdown. His television credits since have included The Quick Trick Show and more recently Tricky TV. In 2005, Mulhern created and presented the Channel 4 magic show Freaky and was credited as executive producer. In 2006, he performed a magic routine in an episode of The Slammer and came in second place; to the dance group "Flawless". "Flawless" went on to perform on Britain's Got Talent, which he presents the spin-off show for (Britain's Got More Talent). Mulhern's 2010 entertainment show Magic Numbers featured magic and illusions during the phone-in process.
Mulhern does not work with a regular assistant for his illusion performances, preferring to work with a range of guest celebrity assistants. Most notable of these is his former Saturday Showdown co-host Holly Willoughby, who has assisted him on many occasions in a variety of illusions including being sawed in half.
- Mulhern starred in the stage version of Grease as Danny Zuko.
- In 2005, Mulhern appeared on Celebrity Stars in Their Eyes as Robbie Williams.[not in citation given]
- Mulhern has a regular slot at Butlins Minehead, where he once was a Redcoat, during the summer season with a show of comedy, magic and gunge.
- In 1997, he performed at the Royal Variety Performance, while still working as a Redcoat. He then returned to perform at the Royal Variety Performance in 2014.
- In 2009, Mulhern presented the Britain's Got Talent Live Tour after a successful series of Britain's Got More Talent.
In 2010, Mulhern starred in Aladdin at the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury, playing the lead role of Aladdin, however on dates when he was not able to play the role, due to television commitments, director and writer Paul Hendy stood in to take the role.
In December 2013, Mulhern played Buttons in Cinderella at the Hawth Crawley. In 2014-15, he was in Sleeping Beauty at the Hawth Crawley. It was a huge hit with over 27,000 people attending in total. In 2015, he will return to Cinderella at the Ashcroft Theatre.
On 5 August 2012, Mulhern began co-presenting Sunday breakfast from 8am to 12pm with Emma Willis across the Heart Network. The duo occasionally present the Heart London Breakfast show when regular hosts, Jamie Theakston and Emma Bunton are away.
Mulhern began presenting on CITV in 1998. He co-hosted four series of Finger Tips with Fearne Cotton from 2001 until 2003 and with Naomi Wilkinson in 2004. He presented children's show Tricky TV from 2005 to 2010. He also co-hosted Holly & Stephen's Saturday Showdown (originally called Ministry of Mayhem) with Holly Willoughby from 2004 to 2006.
Since 2007, Mulhern has hosted ITV2 spin-off Britain's Got More Talent, which airs immediately after the main ITV show, which is hosted by Ant & Dec. Since 2013, Mulhern has become associated with the word 'unbelievable' which slowly became his catchphrase, usually used on Britain's Got More Talent as he walks offscreen at the end of a section, with Ant & Dec often mimicking him and is also known for saying "doosh!".
Since 2012, Mulhern has presented The Hub, a small segment on the ITV daytime show This Morning. He hosted the segment on Thursday and Friday mornings although had previously hosted on Wednesdays and Thursdays until the departure of Matt Johnson in the summer of 2013. Mulhern has occasionally presented the main show, standing in for the regular presenters.
Since April 2013, Mulhern has presented a revived version of ITV game show Catchphrase. In September 2013, Mulhern began presenting ITV's Big Star's Little Star, a show which sees celebrities and their children compete to win up to £15,000 for charity.
On 27 October 2013, Mulhern began hosting a live Sunday morning show called Sunday Side Up on ITV. On 21 December 2013, Mulhern hosted entertainment special The Illusionists on ITV. On 14 September 2014, Mulhern guest hosted an episode of Sunday Night at the Palladium.
In early 2015, Mulhern presented the primetime ITV reality series Get Your Act Together. On 5 February 2015, he began presenting ITV2 panel show Reality Bites . In 2015, he presented The Magic Show Story a one-off special for ITV and The Saturday Night Story, a two-part series focusing on Saturday night television. In 2015, Mulhern will present Pick Me!, a new daytime game show for ITV.
Stephen used to be a redcoat at Butlins Minehead when he was younger. since he left butlins he has been returning every other summer holiday where he does his show called The Stephen Mulhern Show when its a jam packed 1 hour show where it's two sides against each other and the sides are playing for points and there are many rounds and games through out. Mulhern also does some of his magic in the show, after the show Stephen comes out and has photos and signs any items you wanna sign, He sells his exclusive DVD of 60 mins of magic tricks revealed & a magic book.
|1999–2004||The Quick Trick Show||Presenter||5 series|
|2003||You Can Do Magic||Presenter|
|2004||The Record of the Year||Presenter|
|2004–2006||Holly & Stephen's Saturday Showdown||Co-presenter|
|2005–2006, 2010||Tricky TV||Presenter||3 series|
|2006–2007||Dancing on Ice: Defrosted||Presenter|
|2007—||Britain's Got More Talent||Presenter||9 series|
|2009||All Star Impression Show||Presenter|
|2009–2011||Animals Do the Funniest Things||Presenter/narrator|
|2010||Magic Numbers||Presenter||1 series|
|Coronation Street Uncovered: Live||Presenter||One-off episode|
|The 5 O'Clock Show||Co-Presenter||2 episodes|
|2011–2012||The Big Quiz||Presenter||3 episodes|
|2011–2014||This Morning's Hub||Presenter||Regular|
|2012||Emmerdale Live - The Fallout||Presenter||One-off episode|
|All Star Mr & Mrs: Text Santa Special||Presenter||1 episode|
|2012, 2013||This Morning||Stand-in Presenter||4 episodes|
|Big Star's Little Star||Presenter||3 series|
|2013||Sunday Side Up||Presenter||1 series|
|The Paul O'Grady Show||Guest Presenter||1 episode|
|The Illusionists||Presenter||One-off episode|
|2014||Sunday Night at the Palladium||Guest Presenter||1 episode|
|2015||Get Your Act Together||Presenter||1 series|
|Reality Bites||Presenter||1 series|
|The Magic Show Story||Presenter||One-off programme|
|The Saturday Night Story||Narrator||Two-part series|
|2015—||Pick Me!||Presenter||Upcoming daytime series|
- Guest appearances
- Celebrity Stars in Their Eyes (13 August 2005) – Contestant, as Robbie Williams
- The Paul O'Grady Show (27 October 2005, 20 April 2009, May 2014) – Guest
- The Slammer (2006) – Contestant
- All Star Family Fortunes (1 December 2007) – Contestant
- Celebrity Juice (30 September 2010) - Team Captain, (11 April 2013) – Panellist
- The Alan Titchmarsh Show (3 May 2011, 22 March, 24 September 2013) – Guest
- Odd One In (23 July 2011) – Panellist
- Born to Shine (7 August 2011) – Guest judge
- Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway (13 April 2013, 21 March 2015) – Guest
- Daybreak (3 September, 24 December 2013) – Guest
- Loose Women (25 October 2013, 14 March 2014) – Guest
- Lorraine (24 December 2013, 9 April 2014, 18 March 2015) – Guest
- Weekend (10 May 2014) – Guest
- "Hello, I was born and grew up in Stratford East London x". Twitter. 24 May 2015. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- stephen mulhern - Evi
- ITV.com: Britain's Got Talent Hosts, Retrieved 1 August 12010
- Stephen Mulhern: 'I'd like a variety act to win this year!' ITV.com
- Stephen Mulhern Biography[dead link] James Grant Management
- Performance Diary It's Behind You.com
- New Victoria Theatre. "Dick Whittington Woking Tickets - New Victoria Theatre Panto 2012". Atgtickets.com. Retrieved 2013-04-16.
- Stephen Mulhern. | Crawley Happy Times Online
- Stephen Mulhern and Emma Willis Heart
- Stephen Mulhern is unbelievable... | Show Business News & Gossip | This Morning
- [dead link]
- Stephen Mulhern to host new live ITV Sunday morning show - TV News - Digital Spy
- The Illusionists Episode 1 | presscentre
- Sunday Night At The Palladium Episode 1 | presscentre
- ITV challenges celebrities to Get Your Act Together | presscentre
- Reality Bites Episode 1 | presscentre
- Stephen Mulhern's Official Website
- Stephen Mulhern's Google+ Page
- Stephen Mulhern at the Internet Movie Database
|Host of Catchphrase