Stephen O'Donnell (Irish footballer)
|Full name||Stephen O'Donnell|
|Date of birth||15 January 1986|
|Place of birth||Galway, Ireland|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2002–2003||Republic of Ireland U17|
|2006||Republic of Ireland U21|
|2008–2010||Republic of Ireland U23||3||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20:51, 12 April 2015 (UTC).
O'Donnell began his career at Arsenal but left without making an appearance for the first team.
He then signed for Falkirk and became a regular in their side.
However, he rejected a contract from Falkirk in summer 2007, instead moving to Bohemians. He became a regular starter in the first team, which included scoring against Rhyl in the 2008 UEFA Intertoto Cup, but decided to move on after one season at Dalymount Park.
He signed for his local club, Galway United, in the weeks leading up to the 2010 League of Ireland season. He made 28 appearances for the Galway scoring eight goals.
In August 2011, O'Donnell scored the winning goal from a penalty at Partizan Belgrade as Rovers became the first Irish club to reach the group stages of the UEFA Europa League He signed for Dundalk on 21 December 2012.
Stephen suffered a very serious injury while playing for Dundalk against former club Shamrock Rovers on 18 April 2014. A scan revealed that he tore his anterior cruciate ligament and his posterior cruciate ligament and would be out for the remainder of the season.
On the 24th of October 2014 O'Donnell scored the first goal in the 48th minute of Dundalk's 2–0 win over Cork City in the final match of the season. As a result Dundalk were crowned premier league champions for the first time in 19 years, winning the league by two points over Cork City who led going into the match. It was O'Donnell's first start since returning from injury and he was awarded man of the match after an impressive display.
O'Donnell has been capped by the Republic of Ireland national under-21 football team and the under-23s.
- Shamrock Rovers
- "Rhyl 2–4 Bohemians (agg 3–9)". RTÉ Sport. 29 June 2008. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- McQueen, Graeme (19 January 2009). "O'Donnell & Burns reject new Bohs deals". Extratime.ie. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- [dead link]
- "Hoops scoop top young talent". Shamrockrovers.ie. 9 January 2011. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- Farrelly, Aidan (23 February 2011). "Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers". Extratime.ie. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "Partizan Belgrade 1:2 Rovers". Shamrockrovers.ie. 25 August 2011. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "O'Donnell is ruled out for season". RTE.ie. 19 April 2014. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "Dundalk are Champions". FAI.ie. 24 October 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Comeback king Stephen O'Donnell fires Dundalk to first title in 19 years". independent.ie. 24 October 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Under-23s off to great start". Football Association of Ireland. 4 June 2009. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
"Heartache as stoppage time winner defeats U23s". Football Association of Ireland. 4 June 2009. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
"Late comeback by U23s not enough against England". Football Association of Ireland. 26 May 2010. Retrieved 27 December 2012.