Steve Field (medical doctor)
Stephen John Field CBE FRCP FRCGP (born 22 June 1959) is a general practitioner and Chief Inspector of General Practice at England's Care Quality Commission. He chairs the Department of Health's National Inclusion Health Board. He is Honorary Professor of Medical Education at the University of Warwick and Honorary Professor in the School of Medicine at the University of Birmingham.
He has published academic papers, reports and books and he has presented papers at academic meetings around the world. He has been part of the invited faculty of the Harvard University’s Harvard Macy Institute programme "Leading Innovation in Healthcare & Education", in Boston, USA. He was Regional Postgraduate Dean for the NHS West Midlands Workforce Deanery. He was a judge for the 2011 Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine.
From 2007-2010 he was Chairman of the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP). In 2011 he was appointed to lead the NHS Future Forum, an advisory group that David Cameron convened when Andrew Lansley's NHS shakeup became a political liability. He worked as Deputy Medical Director for NHS England from 2012-2013.
In August 2013 his appointment as the first Chief Inspector of General Practice was announced by the Care Quality Commission; these duties commenced in October 2014. Six weeks after taking up the role his views were described in an interview published by the Sunday Mercury. He was said by the Health Service Journal to be the fourteenth most powerful person in the English NHS in December 2014.
Field is married to Lynn (née Kennedy), formerly the nurse director of the Birmingham Cancer Network and the couple have twin daughters.
- "National Inclusion Health Board: membership". UK Government. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Professor Stephen Field". Warwick Medical School. 23 October 2012. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Practice staff: doctors". Bellevue Medical Centre. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Campbell, Denis (19 March 2013). "Steve Field of NHS Commissioning Board: 'We need to help the poorest fastest'". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "The Harvard Macy Institute: Program for Leading Innovations in Health Care & Education: June 9-14, 2013". Harvard Macy Institute. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "2011 Hippocrates Prize Judges". Hippocrates Initiative for Poetry and Medicine. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Chief inspectors: Steve Field". Care Quality Commission. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Prof Steve Field named chief inspector of GPs". BBC News. 28 August 2013. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- Stacey, Alison (10 November 2013). "Revealed: Maggots in treatment rooms and out of date vaccines - meet the man cleaning up Britain's GPs". Sunday Mercury. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "HSJ100 2014 The annual list of the most influential people in health". Health Service Journal. 2 January 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- ‘FIELD, Stephen John’, Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2012 ; online edn, Nov 2012 accessed 28 Aug 2013(subscription required)
- "Keele University Announces Honorary Degrees for July 2011 Ceremonies" (Press release). Keele University. 3 June 2011. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Peter Coates picks up Keele University honorary degree". BBC News (BBC). 7 July 2011.
|Chair of the Royal College of General Practitioners