Stephen Peter Rosen
Stephen Peter Rosen is a Harvard College Professor and Beton Michael Kaneb Professor of National Security and Military Affairs at Harvard University. In addition to his academic work, Rosen was also Master of Harvard College's Winthrop House from 2003 to 2009.
Early life and education
Rosen was associate director of the John M. Olin Institute for Strategic Studies (part of Harvard's Department of Government) from 1990 to 1996, and was Director from 1996 until 2008. Before returning to Harvard in 1990, Rosen was a professor in the strategy department at the U.S. Naval War College, a consultant for the President's Commission on Integrated Long-term Strategy, and director of political-military affairs at the National Security Council in the Ronald Reagan White House.
Rosen is a signatory to the Project for the New American Century's controversial 90-page report entitled Rebuilding America's Defenses: Strategies, Forces and Resources for a New Century (2000), advocating the redeployment of U.S. troops in permanent bases in strategic locations throughout the world where they can be ready to act to protect U.S. interests abroad.
Rosen holds the view that U.S. military supremacy is not guaranteed into the future, remarking on it that, "we [Americans] have grown up and become accustomed to a world in which we can exercise force majeure and we just can’t do that. And this is not a matter of ideology. This is not a matter of ethics. This is a matter of a change in the character of power and the distribution of power." As of 2015, Rosen did not, however, believe that American power was in decline, telling former roommate Bill Kristol:
We can’t play the same kind of dominant role, but we can and should play a role in creating this new world order in which people in those regions take more responsibility for defending themselves, but where we play a crucial role. And if we don’t do that we are more at risk of losing our republican liberties than if we undertake the tasks that are associated with this more forward posturing.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-08-16. Retrieved 2007-06-27.
- Rebuilding America's Defenses: Strategies, Forces and Resources for a New Century Archived September 23, 2002, at the Wayback Machine., Project for the New American Century, September 2000, accessed May 14, 2007.
- "Rudy Giuliani Announces Foreign Policy Team Members". JoinRudy2008.com. 2007-07-09. Archived from the original on 2007-12-03. Retrieved 2007-11-15.
- "Giuliani names 3 more Jews as advisers". Jewish Telegraphic Agency jta.org. 2007-10-12. Archived from the original on 2007-11-14. Retrieved 2007-11-15.
- "Stephen Rosen on Conversations with Bill Kristol".
- "Stephen Rosen Transcript - Conversations with Bill Kristol".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2014-06-16.