Stephen Phillips (politician)
|Member of Parliament
for Sleaford and North Hykeham
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Douglas Hogg|
9 March 1970 |
Chiswick, London, England
|Alma mater||Oriel College, Oxford|
Stephen James Phillips QC (born 9 March 1970) is a British Conservative Party politician, barrister and Recorder of the Crown Court. He is the current Member of Parliament (MP) for Sleaford and North Hykeham.
Early life and career
Phillips was born on 9 March 1970, the son of Stewart Charles Phillips, a civil servant, and his wife Janice Frances née Woodhall. He attended Canford School, Dorset, and was educated at Oriel College, Oxford from 1988 to 1992, obtaining a BA degree in Jurisprudence (law) in 1991 and a Bachelor of Civil Law degree in 1992. He served for a short time in the Army, serving with both the 14th/20th King's Hussars and The Welsh Guards. After studying to become a barrister at the Inns of Court School of Law, he was called to the bar as a member of Lincoln's Inn in 1993. He was appointed Queen's Counsel and a Recorder in 2009.
He was Chairman of the Governors at Frank Barnes School, one of the only sign-bilingual schools for the Deaf in Britain.
Phillips sat on the European Scrutiny Committee, the Public Accounts Committee and the committee for the Defamation Bill
He attracted criticism for spending around 1700 hours per year on his work as a barrister whilst serving as MP. Phillips described his own Parliamentary attendance record as "excellent", insisting his outside work "doesn’t affect the way in which I perform as an MP”, and accused his critics of "envy" over his £750,000 per year second job.
Phillips was previously married and has three children. He splits his time between London and his home in Lincolnshire.
- "Stephen Phillips MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- 'Phillips, Stephen James', Who's Who 2015, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc., 2015; online ed., Oxford University Press, 2014 ; online ed., October 2014
- "Stephen Phillips". Parliament UK. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Dominiczak, Peter (13 December 2013). "£750,000 second job shows I am a success, says Stephen Phillips MP". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Stephen Phillips campaign
- Official Biography on Conservative Party website
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Barrister at 7 Kings Bench Walk Chambers
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Sleaford and North Hykeham