St. Louis Cardinals – No. 55
January 14, 1991 |
|July 21, 2015 for the St. Louis Cardinals|
Stephen Edward Piscotty (born January 14, 1991) is an American professional baseball outfielder for the St. Louis Cardinals of Major League Baseball (MLB). He played college baseball for the Stanford Cardinal of Stanford University and was first round selection by the Cardinals in the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft.
Early life and amateur career
Stephen Piscotty is the son of Michael and Gretchen Piscotty and has two younger brothers named Austin and Nicolas. Born in Pleasanton, California, he began attending college baseball games of the Stanford Cardinal of Stanford University with his uncle for his birthday when he was young. Piscotty attended Amador Valley High School in Pleasanton, where he played for the school's baseball team as a pitcher and a shortstop. In 2009, his senior year, he was named the most valuable player of the East Bay Athletic League.
The Los Angeles Dodgers selected Piscotty in the 45th round of the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft but he opted not to sign. He enrolled at Stanford to play college baseball for the Cardinal as a third baseman, pitcher, and an outfielder. In 2011, Piscotty was named to the All-Pacific-10 Conference first team. Piscotty also played for the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox in 2011 and was the Cape Cod League batting champion with a .349 batting average.
Piscotty was named a preseason All-American prior to the 2012 season. That year, he batted .329, led the Cardinal with 30 walks and 56 runs batted in (RBIs), and was named All-Pac-12 in 2012. As a pitcher, Piscotty posted a 5–2 won–lost record with a 2.57 earned run average in 2012. During his Stanford career, he batted .340 with 124 runs, 132 RBIs, 43 doubles, 12 home runs and 62 walks in 172 games.
Professional career (2012–present)
Draft and minor leagues
The St. Louis Cardinals selected Piscotty in the first round, with the 36th overall selection, of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft and he signed on June 16 for a $1.4 million bonus. After playing in the infield for the Quad Cities River Bandits of the Class A Midwest League in 2012, the Cardinals moved Piscotty to the outfield before the 2013 season. His first season showed mixed results as he batted .295 with a .376 on-base percentage. 448 slugging percentage, four home runs, 18 doubles and 27 RBIs but made 22 errors in just 36 games at third base. The Cardinals assigned Piscotty to the Palm Beach Cardinals of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League (FSL) in 2013, where he was selected as an All-Star.
After batting .295 with 15 home runs in 112 games for Palm Beach and the Springfield Cardinals of the Class AA Texas League in 2013, the Cardinals assigned Piscotty to the Arizona Fall League (AFL) to play for the Salt River Rafters. Piscotty spent the 2014 season with the Memphis Redbirds of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League, and opened the 2015 season with Memphis.
Major leagues (2015–present)
The Cardinals promoted Piscotty to the major leagues on July 21, 2015. He made his major league debut that night as the starting left fielder against the Chicago White Sox in an 8–5 win, and singled off Carlos Rodon in his second at bat of the game for his first MLB hit. His sacrifice fly scored Peter Kozma on July 25 and was the only run of the game and game-winner in a 1–0 win over the Atlanta Braves. It was Piscotty's first MLB RBI.
With a short, compact swing, Piscotty consistently hits to the gaps. In the FSL, which is considered a pitcher-friendly league, he hit .292 with a .477 slugging percentage in 63 games. As of September 2013, he is thought to have a hit tool and approach that should help him get to the Major Leagues, but scouts are unsure if he will develop the type of power that is associated with corner outfield positions. He is rated to have a smooth swing and a strong arm. As a pitcher, he has been clocked up to 93 miles per hour (150 km/h).
Achievements and awards
- Minor leagues
- High school
- Most Valuable Player, East Bay Athletic League, 2009
- Rawlings California All-Region First Team, 2009
- All-East Bay Athletic League, 2006, 2007, and 2009
- "Stephen Piscotty profile". GoStanford.com. Retrieved October 13, 2013.
- Mills, David (June 5, 2012). "Baseball Draft: Amador Valley High Grad Chosen By Cardinals". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- Traub, Todd (August 6, 2013). "Texas notes: Piscotty in good position". MiLB.com. Retrieved October 13, 2013.
- Bonagura, Kyle (May 20, 2009). "Piscotty lives up to top billing for Amador Valley". InsideBayArea.com. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- Goold, Derrick (June 15, 2012). "Cardinals and the draft pick cash game". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved October 13, 2013.
- Bennett, Miles (June 2, 2011). "Piscotty, Ragira lead seven Cardinal baseball players on All-Pac-10 teams". The Stanford Daily. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- Daily News Dispatches (February 13, 2012). "Local players named preseason All-Americans". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- Daily News Dispatches (April 10, 2012). "7 RBIs for Piscotty as Stanford stomps Cal". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- Author not given (June 12, 2012). "Draft pick Stephen Piscotty signed a deal with the Cardinals". www.stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com.
- von Horn, Steve (June 16, 2012). "Stephen Piscotty contract: Cardinals sign no. 36 pick for in 2012 MLB draft to $1.4 million bonus". SB Nation St. Louis. Retrieved October 13, 2012.
- Langosch, Jenifer (February 28, 2013). "Piscotty makes right field debut in 'B' contest". MLB.com. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- "Stephen Piscotty minor league statistics & history". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved October 13, 2013.
- "Stephen Piscotty profile". Scout.com. Retrieved October 13, 2013.
- Nagel, John (October 8, 2013). "Arizona Fall League preview". www.cardinalsfarm.com. Retrieved October 13, 2013.
- Goold, Derrick (November 19, 2013). "Piscotty soars among Cards' top prospects". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved November 19, 2013.
- Lee Enterprises. "Cardinals to call up Piscotty". stltoday.com. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- Garno, Greg; Langosch, Jenifer (July 21, 2015). "Holliday's slam lifts Cardinals over White Sox". MLB.com. Retrieved July 22, 2015.
- Langosch, Jenifer; Cobb, David (July 25, 2015). "Cardinals strike late after Martínez-Miller duel". MLB.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Author not given (September 12, 2013). "Stephen Piscotty – St. Louis Cardinals – 2013 player profile". Rotoworld.com. Retrieved October 13, 2013.
- Author not given. "Stephen Piscotty Baseball Profile". Perfect Game USA. Retrieved October 13, 2013.
- Pete Wickham. "Redbirds’ Piscotty waits for power surge as homestand begins". The Commercial Appeal. Retrieved July 20, 2015.