Poloz in July 2018
|9th Governor of the Bank of Canada|
|Assumed office |
June 3, 2013
|Preceded by||Mark Carney|
|President and CEO of Export Development Canada|
|Appointed by||Stephen Harper|
|Preceded by||Mark Carney|
|Born||1955 (age 64–65)|
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Stephen S. Poloz (born 1955) is a Canadian banker and the ninth and current Governor of the Bank of Canada. He is also a member of the board of directors for the Bank for International Settlements.
In July 2017, Poloz raised the Bank of Canada's key interest rate to 0.75%, the first interest rate increase in Canada in seven years. Poloz remains concerned about Canada's high level of household debt and is monitoring how households react to each rate hike.
Poloz holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics from Queen's University and Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in economics from the University of Western Ontario. He is also a graduate of Columbia University's senior executive program and is a Certified International Trade Professional. His doctoral thesis was on currency movements.
Stephen Poloz received his bachelor's degree in 1978 from the Queen's University at Kingston, Canada. He majored in economics.
He received his master's degree in economics in 1979 from the University of Western Ontario, and then a PhD in economics in 1982 from the same institution.
In 2017, Trent University Durham GTA awarded Poloz an honorary PhD degree.
From 1981 to 1994 Poloz was with the Bank of Canada, before leaving as chief of the research department to become managing editor of BCA Research from 1994 to 1999. Poloz joined Export Development Canada in 1999 and became its president and CEO in 2010. He has been a visiting scholar with the "Economic Planning Agency" in Tokyo and at the International Monetary Fund in Washington, DC.
Poloz holds an honorary Certified International Trade Professional (CITP) designation from the Forum for International Trade Training. He is a past president of the Ottawa Economics Association.
In 2013, he was appointed as the Governor of the Bank of Canada on a seven year term. The Bank of Canada announced he will not seek a second term after his initial appointment expires in June, 2020.
Poloz is married to Valerie Poloz and they have two children.
- Stephen Poloz appointed Governor of Bank of Canada, Bank of Canada press releases, May 2, 2013.
- "Board of Directors". Bis.org. 1 December 2015. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Bank of Canada raises interest rate for 1st time in 7 years to 0.75%". CBC News.
- Poloz biography, Parliament of Canada website; accessed June 9, 2017.
- Canada's new central-bank governor: After Carney, Economist.com, May 11, 2013.
- Dark clouds to greet Stephen Poloz's first day at his dream job (personal details about Stephen Poloz), Globe and Mail, May 4, 2013.
- Stephen Poloz - Bloomberg Profile, bloomberg.com
- Bujalska, Monika (December 1, 2010). "Appointment of New President and Chief Executive Officer of Export Development Canada". canada.ca (Press release). Government of Canada.
- Poloz profile, bilderbergmeetings.org; accessed June 9, 2017.
- "QBC Ottawa featuring Stephen Poloz". smith.queensu.ca. Retrieved April 5, 2016.
- "Stephen S. Poloz". www.bankofcanada.ca. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- Wong, Craig (December 6, 2019). "Bank of Canada says Poloz will not seek a second term as governor". Canadian Business. Retrieved December 8, 2019.
- McMahon, Tamsin (May 2, 2013). "10 things you should know about the new Bank of Canada governor". Maclean's.
- Stephen Poloz profile, BankofCanada.ca; accessed June 9, 2017.