|Born||November 13, 1960|
Cooperstown, New York
|Occupation||Religious studies scholar|
Stephen Richard Prothero (//; born November 13, 1960) is an American scholar of religion. He is a professor of religion at Boston University and the author of eight books on religion in America, including the New York Times bestseller Religious Literacy.
He has commented on religion on dozens of National Public Radio programs and on television on CNN, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS, MSNBC, The Oprah Winfrey Show, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, and The Colbert Report. He was the chief editorial consultant for the six-hour WGBH television series God in America and he has served as a consultant on American religious history at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History. A regular contributor to USA Today, he has also written for The New York Times Magazine, The New York Times Book Review, Slate, Salon, The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, The Boston Globe, and The Wall Street Journal.
Prothero has argued for mandatory public-school biblical literacy courses (along the lines of the Bible Literacy Project's The Bible and Its Influence), along with mandatory courses on world religions. On the matter of his own personal beliefs, Prothero describes himself as "religiously confused".
- Why Liberals Win The Culture Wars (Even When They Lose Elections) (2016, ISBN 978-0-06-157129-9)
- The American Bible: How Our Words Unite, Divide, and Define a Nation (2012, ISBN 978-0-06-212343-5)
- God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the World—and Why Their Differences Matter (2010, ISBN 978-0-06-157127-5)
- Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know—and Doesn't (2007, ISBN 0-06-084670-4)
- A Nation of Religions: The Politics of Pluralism in Multireligious America (2006, ISBN 0-8078-5770-X)
- American Jesus: How the Son of God Became a National Icon (2003, ISBN 0-374-52956-6)
- Purified by Fire: A History of Cremation in America (2001, ISBN 0-520-23688-2)
- The White Buddhist: The Asian Odyssey of Henry Steel Olcott (1996, ISBN 0-520-23688-2)
- "The Colbert Report Prothero". The Colbert Report. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- "The Emily Rooney Show". WGBH. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- Online Video Guide, 20120
- "After Words with Stephen Prothero". C-SPAN. 3 May 2010. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
I think, I am definitely taoist on the weekends. I would say I am religiously confused, and I have friends who want to get me out of being religiously confused. They say you were seeking, you are searching. And I say, I like being religiously confused because as I have said, I think these religions are repositories of great questions and for me what intrigues is the questions and not so much the answers and I love living in the presence of these questions.
- Prothero, Stephen (2010). God is Not One. New York: HarperOne. p. 23. ISBN 978-0-06-157127-5.
|This biography of an American historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|