Stephen Shore (professor)
Stephen Mark Shore
September 27, 1961
|Alma mater||Boston University|
|Known for||Autism education research, Board Member of Autism Speaks|
|Autism rights movement|
Stephen Mark Shore (born September 27, 1961) is an autistic professor of special education at Adelphi University. He has written the books that include: College for Students with Disabilities, Understanding Autism for Dummies, Ask and Tell, and Beyond the Wall. Currently, he serves on the board of Autism Speaks, and is one of the first two autistic board members in its history, looking to improve the potential of those on the autism spectrum. He once headed the Asperger's Association of New England and was on the board of the Autism Society of America.
Shore lost language skills before the age of four, then started getting them back at four years old. He supported taking mercury out of vaccines. He has been described as having a special interest in music. He has discussed difficulties with completing assignments presented in formats that he wasn't used to, leading him to drop out of a doctorate in music program. However, he eventually obtained a doctorate in Special Education.
His book, Ask and Tell, describes ways that autistics can advocate for their needs.
- "Stephen M Shore: Faculty Profiles : Adelphi University". www.adelphi.edu. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Shore, Stephen; Grandin, Temple (21 August 2015). College for Students with Disabilities: We Do Belong (1 ed.). Jessica Kingsley Publishers. ISBN 9781849057325. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Shore, Stephen M. (2006). Understanding autism for dummies. Hoboken (NJ): Wiley. ISBN 0764525476.
- Shore, Stephen (2004). Ask and tell: self-advocacy and disclosure for people on the autism spectrum. Autism Asperger Publishing Company;. ISBN 1931282587.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- Shore, Stephen (2003). Beyond the wall : personal experiences with autism and Asperger syndrome (2nd ed.). Shawnee Mission, Kan.: Autism Asperger Pub. ISBN 1931282196.
- "Autism Speaks welcomes three new board members". Autism Speaks. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Muzikar, Debra. "Stephen Shore talks about his appointment to the Autism Speaks Board of Directors". The Art of Autism. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Shoop, Stephen. "John Schneider promotes Asperger's Syndrome awareness". USA Today. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Farrell, Elizabeth F. (8 October 2004). "Asperger's Confounds Colleges". The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved 17 April 2016..
- Samburg, Bridget. "For the autistic, how to get heard". boston.com. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|