Stephen Stirling (footballer)
|Full name||Stephen Stirling|
|Date of birth||5 January 1990|
|Place of birth||Paisley, Scotland|
|Height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|2011||→ Stirling Albion (loan)||10||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 5 April 2017.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 13 September 2016
Stirling started his career with Rangers, spending a loan spell at Stirling Albion, before being released and dropping out the senior game for a short time, then returning with Stranraer. He has also had two spells at Greenock Morton.
Born in Paisley, Stirling joined Stirling Albion in the 2011 January transfer window until the end of the season. On 7 May 2011 he scored his first league goals, when he scored twice as Stirling ended a 25-match winless streak with victory over Morton on the final day of the season.
After leaving Rangers in 2011, Stirling dropped out of the senior game for a short time playing amateur football in Paisley, before returning to senior football with Stranraer. After scoring 12 goals in 26 league matches, Stirling signed a pre-contract agreement with First Division side Greenock Morton. Stirling scored his first league goal for Morton when he drove in the only goal in a 1-0 victory over Raith Rovers. Stirling missed the rest of the 2012-13 season injured with a broken leg sustained in a league match against Partick Thistle. With him being out of contract in the summer of 2013, Stirling was given the summer to prove he had recovered from his injury by Allan Moore.
After recovering from his leg break, Stirling was given a short-term deal in September 2013. In January 2014, he was released from his contract and returned to his former club Stranraer in January 2014. After eighteen months with the Scottish League One side, Stirling was released from his contract with the side. Shortly after leaving Stranraer, Stirling signed for fellow League One side Stenhousemuir on a one-year contract.
In total he received nine caps at U19 level, scoring five goals.
- As of 8 November 2013
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other[A]||Total|
|Stirling Albion (loan)||2010–11||Scottish First Division||10||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||10||2|
|Stranraer||2011–12||Scottish Third Division||26||12||0||0||0||0||0||0||26||12|
|Greenock Morton||2012–13||Scottish First Division||7||1||0||0||2||1||1||0||10||2|
- "Stirling stays on at Stirling". Scottish Football League.
- "Stirling Albion 3 - 2 Morton". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. 7 May 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- Mitchell, Jonathan (25 May 2012). "Stirling effort from Ton". Greenock Telegraph. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Mitchell, Jonathan (22 September 2012). "Ton leapfrog Raith into third". Greenock Telegraph. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Mitchell, Jonathan (6 October 2012). "Ton topple league leaders". Greenock Telegraph. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- Mitchell, Jonathan (7 May 2013). "Stephen still needs to earn new contract". Greenock Telegraph. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- "Stephen Stirling". Greenock Morton F.C. 27 September 2013. Retrieved 28 September 2013.
- Mitchell, Jonathan (6 January 2013). "Three players exit Morton". Greenock Telegraph. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "2015 Stranraer FC Released Players List". stranraerfc.org. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- "Player News - Two New Signings". stenhousemuirfc.com. 15 June 2015. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "Jonathan helps Scots get off to a flier". Heart of Midlothian FC. 28 May 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- "History Archives - Stephen Stirling". Scottish F.A. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Stephen Stirling Stats". Soccerbase.
- Stephen Stirling at Soccerbase