Stephen Tanzer is an American wine critic and editor at Vinous. From 1985 until he joined Vinous in 2014, Tanzer was the publisher of the critically acclaimed bimonthly International Wine Cellar, an independent journal read by wine professionals and other wine lovers in all 50 U.S. states and 34 countries, and the first American wine periodical to be translated into French and Japanese. Tanzer has particular expertise on the wines of Bordeaux, as well as other prominent wine regions, including Burgundy, California, Washington State, and South Africa.
Tanzer's International Wine Cellar, which employed a modern wine rating system on a 70-100 point quality scale, was considered in direct competition with Robert Parker's The Wine Advocate, though Tanzer's "controlled prose" is in contrast to the more flamboyant style of Parker. Tanzer still uses this scale in his ratings and reviews with Vinous.
In February 2010, Tanzer launched the website "Winophilia" in the wine blog format, which published short articles by Tanzer, IWC collaborator Josh Raynolds, and other IWC contributors.
On November 18, 2014 Vinous, founded by Antonio Galloni, announced it had agreed to acquire Stephen Tanzer's IWC and in late 2014 IWC's archive had been transferred in a combined site home, available to both Vinous and IWC readers. IWC team members Ian D'Agata and Josh Raynolds are also part of the Vinous team.
Tanzer samples well over 10,000 wines annually, spending several months each year tasting and discussing wines with their makers, both in the U.S. and abroad.
- "Vinous Media LLC: CEO and Executives - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- Forbes.com. "Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar".
- "Stephen Tanzer, IWC Archive". www.wine-searcher.com. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- https://www.wine-searcher.com/critics-11-stephen+tanzer. Missing or empty
- Asimov, Eric The New York Times (December 6, 2006). "Settling in, Glass in Hand, to Read of Wine".
- "IWC FAQ | Vinous - Explore All Things Wine". vinous.com. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- Adamczyk, Alicia. "Wine Publishing Platform Vinous Acquires Critically Acclaimed International Wine Cellar". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- "About | Vinous - Explore All Things Wine". vinous.com. Retrieved 2017-10-27.