Stephen C. Tweedie
After becoming involved with the development of the ext2 filesystem working on performance issues, he led the development of the ext3 filesystem which involved adding a journaling layer (JBD) to the ext2 filesystem. For his work on the journaling layer, he has been described by fellow Linux developer Andrew Morton as "a true artisan".
Born in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1969, Tweedie studied computer science at Churchill College, Cambridge and the University of Edinburgh, where he did his thesis on Contention and Achieved Performance in Multicomputer Wormhole Routing Networks. After contributing to the Linux kernel in his spare time since the early nineties and working on VMS filesystem support for DEC for two years, Tweedie was employed by Linux distributor Red Hat where he continues to work on the Linux kernel.
Tweedie has published a number of papers on Linux, including Design and Implementation of the Second Extended Filesystem in 1994, Journaling the Linux ext2fs Filesystem in 1998, and Planned Extensions to the Linux Ext2/Ext3 Filesystem in 2002.
Tweedie is also a frequent speaker on the subject of Linux kernel development at technical conferences. Amongst others, he has given talks on Linux kernel development at the 1997 and 1998 USENIX Annual Technical Conferences, the 2000 UKUUG conference in London, and he gave the keynote speech at the Ottawa Linux Symposium in 2002.
- "The disk doctor". Linux Format. May 2005. Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 23 June 2007.
- Jeremy Andrews (14 February 2002). "Interview: Andrew Morton". KernelTrap. Retrieved 23 June 2007.
- Glyn Moody (2001). Rebel Code: Linux and the Open Source Revolution. Penguin Press. ISBN 0-71-399520-3.
- Stephen Tweedie (December 1999). "Contention and Achieved Performance in Multicomputer Wormhole Routing Networks". University of Edinburgh. Retrieved 23 June 2007.
- Rémy Card; Theodore Ts'o; Stephen Tweedie (December 1994). "Design and Implementation of the Second Extended Filesystem". First Dutch International Symposium on Linux. Retrieved 23 June 2007.
- Stephen C. Tweedie (May 1998). "Journaling the Linux ext2fs Filesystem" (PDF). Proceedings of the 4th Annual LinuxExpo, Durham, NC. Retrieved 23 June 2007.
- Theodore Ts'o; Stephen Tweedie (June 2002). "Planned Extensions to the Linux Ext2/Ext3 Filesystem". USENIX 2002 Annual Technical Conference. Retrieved 23 June 2007.
- Stephen Tweedie (1997). "/proc". USENIX: The Advanced Computing Systems Association. Retrieved 23 June 2007.
- "Inside the Linux Kernel". USENIX: The Advanced Computing Systems Association. 1998. Retrieved 23 June 2007.
- Richard Ibbotson (2000). "A report on the UKUUG" (PDF). Linux Magazine. Linux New Media AG. Retrieved 23 June 2007.
- Keynote 2002 Archived 29 June 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- Stephen Tweedie (20 July 2000). "EXT3, Journaling Filesystem". Ottawa Linux Symposium. Retrieved 23 June 2007.