Stepping Hill Hospital
|Stepping Hill Hospital|
|Stockport NHS Foundation Trust|
Hospital viewed from the railway bridge on Bramhall Moor Road
|Location||Stockport, Greater Manchester, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Hospital type||District General Hospital|
|Emergency department||Level 1 Trauma Center|
|Founded||1905 – opens with 340 patient beds|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
Stepping Hill Hospital is Stockport NHS Foundation Trust's main hospital, which looks after a population of approximately 350,000 people.
Stepping Hill Hospital is located south of Stockport town centre. The Trust also provides services from the Meadows (continuity/complex health care needs and palliative care), the Devonshire Centre for Neuro-rehabilitation and Swanbourne Gardens specialist unit for children with learning disability (all located in Stockport) and the Corbar Maternity Unit based 18 miles away in Buxton.
Urology, maternity, orthopaedic and stroke services at Stepping Hill Hospital are highly rated nationally. The Trust runs one of the largest orthopaedic services in the country and a specialist stroke centre serving the south of Greater Manchester. Overall responsibility for delivering services rests with the Board of Directors who are accountable for operational performance as well as the definition and implementation of strategy and policy. As a Foundation Trust there is also a Board of Governors who are the voice of the local community, the majority of whom are elected from public membership.
- Stepping Hill Hospital first opened in 1905.
- Stockport NHS Trust formed in April 2000, following the merger of Stockport Acute Services and Stockport Healthcare NHS Trust.
- The Trust was the first in the country to achieve Clinical Pathology Accreditation for their point of care testing in December 2011.
- The UK’s first prostate cancer operation using a hand-held robot was undertaken at Stepping Hill Hospital in March 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stepping Hill Hospital.|
- 2011 Stepping Hill Hospital poisoning incident
- Healthcare in Greater Manchester
- List of hospitals in England