|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Stereo Skyline performing at SXSW 2010
|Origin||East Meadow, New York, United States|
|Genres||Pop rock, pop punk, power pop|
|Associated acts||A Bird A Sparrow, Aerosol, BLAC, Don't Fall Darling, Hey Monday, IT BOYS!, Mitchel Musso, Nice Guys Finish First, Scenes and Sirens, Set In Color, Suddenly October, Valet Parking|
|Past members||Kevin Bard
The group has played at The Bamboozle 2007, The Bamboozle Left 2009, The Bamboozle 2009, The 2010 Take Action Tour, The Bamboozle Roadshow 2010, released two EPs, and released their debut album Stuck On Repeat on July 20, 2010, on Columbia Records.
- 1 History
- 2 Members
- 3 Discography
- 4 References
2006-2007: Formation and The Worst Case Scenario EP
In 2006, Matt Villani left the Pop Punk group, Valet Parking to form a new band, called Stereo Skyline. Villani initially played piano and synth and sang lead vocals for the band. He recruited Jay Marotta and Anthony Purpura of his former band, Aerosol, to play guitar and bass, respectively, Dane Drozdzewicz to play drums, and Eddie Dizura of Suddenly October to play guitar.
Soon after the formation of the first line-up, Dane left the band and was temporarily replaced by Chris Capuano of Valet Parking/Set In Color until Anthony was moved to drums. Tom Angenbroich of Don't Fall Darling was recruited to play bass and scream. Eddie also left and was replaced by his Suddenly October band mate, Kevin Bard, who was recruited to play guitar and sing backup vocals. This would remain the line-up for their first EP, The Worst Case Scenario.
In 2007, the band underwent a major line-up change. Kevin became the lead vocalist. Matt became the backup vocalist, continued on piano, and picked up guitar. Anthony switched to playing synthesizer, and Rob Michelsen joined the band to play drums. The band played at The Bamboozle for the first time that year.
2007-2008: Major changes and Stereo Skyline EP
Shortly after their performance at Bamboozle, the band picked up manager Jason Aron of Ozone Management (Boys Like Girls, Hey Monday, We the Kings). Aron wanted to take the band in another direction which resulted in the departure of Tom and Anthony in Summer 2007. As a result, Jay switched to bass and Kevin maintained his role as lead singer, but also picked up guitar. The new line-up recorded and released a demo that summer.
In winter and spring 2008, the band recorded a new EP called Stereo Skyline - EP at Stadiumred in Harlem, New York. It was released in July 2008. The artwork for the EP was initially created by Alexander Sheldon of Match & Kerosene and was edited into its final state by Russell Heiman of Nice Guys Finish First.
2008-2009: Departure of Villani and signing to Columbia Records
In September 2008, after numerous conflicts with the band, Villani was kicked out. Villani formed Set In Colour immediately after his departure with former Stereo Skyline members, Tom Angenbroich and Anthony Purpura, along with Kenny Gallart on drums. The band continued on with Kevin as their new leader and recruited Brian Maddox of Scenes and Sirens to replace Villani on guitar. In November 2008, Jay left the band for undisclosed reasons, and Brian switched to bass.
In January 2009, it was announced that the band had signed a publishing deal with Sony/ATV Music Publishing.
In February 2009, the band was picked up by the Paradigm Booking Agency.
In June 2009, it was announced that the band had signed a record deal with Columbia Records.
In September 2009, the band played a string of shows with Mitchel Musso and are referenced many times in the video for "Shout It" which was shot primarily at the September 9, 2009 show they played with Musso, KSM, and Jimmy Robbins at the House of Blues in Boston, Massachusetts. In the video Musso wears a Stereo Skyline bracelet.
2010: Gaining exposure and Stuck on Repeat
On April 26, 2010, after being the touring guitarist since January 2010, Clayton Johnson, formerly of A Bird A Sparrow and IT BOYS!, officially joined Stereo Skyline as their permanent guitarist and backing vocalist.
The band's debut album, Stuck On Repeat, was released on July 20, 2010. The album was produced by Blake Healy (formerly of Metro Station) and includes production and songwriting work by S*A*M and Sluggo and Adam Schlesinger. The band went on their first headlining tour to promote the release with The Audition, Cash Cash, The Downtown Fiction, and Cady Groves for support from July 28 to August 21.
On November 1, 2010 The band performed live for Good Day New York.
2011: Departure of Maddox and Johnson and The Good Life
On May 21, 2011 Clayton and Brian announced that they left Stereo Skyline in order to "explore other adventures in music and create a 'secret' project together". The secret turned out to be a group called BLAC. Kevin announced that himself and Rob would be continuing to tour and would be releasing new Stereo Skyline songs, along with continuing with their planned Brazil tour. On August 11, 2011, the band released their new single "Kiss Me in the Morning" from their new album, The Good Life. Stereo Skyline announced on their official Facebook page that their new album will be titled The Good Life.
Rob left the band before the release of The Good Life and the Brazil tour. Kevin ended up bringing on former member Anthony Purpura and friends Larzz Principato and Ryan Forsythe to fill out the touring line-up. They appeared in Brazil on MTV Brasil while on tour there.
- Kevin Bard - lead vocals, guitar (2006–12/31/2011)
- Tom Angenbroich - bass, screaming vocals (2006–2007)
- Eddie Dizura - guitar (2006)
- Clayton Johnson - guitar, backing vocals (4/26/2010-5/21/2011)
- Brian Maddox - bass (2008–5/21/2011)
- Dane Milanovic - drums (2006)
- Jay Marotta - guitar, bass (2006-11/2008)
- Rob Michelsen - drums (2007–2011)
- Anthony Purpura - synth, drums, bass (2006–2007)
- Matt Villani - vocals, piano, synth, guitar (2006-9/2008)
Former touring members
- Ryan Forsythe - bass (2011)
- Cal Knapp - guitar (2009)
- Clayton Johnson - guitar, backing vocals (1/2010-4/26/2010)
- Brian Maddox - bass (2008–2011)
- Larzz Principato - guitar (2011)
- Anthony Purpura - drums (2011)
- "Heartbeat" (2010)
- "Tongue Tied" (2010)
- "Me and You" (2010)
- "Kiss Me In the Morning" (2011)
- "AOL Radio Stations | Free Internet Radio | AOL Radio". Spinner.com. Retrieved 2015-10-02.
-  Archived April 6, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090322192957/http://www.stadiumredny.com/clients.html. Archived from the original on March 22, 2009. Retrieved May 9, 2010. Missing or empty
-  Archived October 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Mitchel Musso - Shout It - Official Music Video". YouTube. 2009-09-29. Retrieved 2015-10-02.
- "DSC_00012.JPG (image)". 2.bp.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2015-10-02.
- "Clayton Johnson on Twitter: "It's official!!!"". Twitter.com. 2010-04-26. Retrieved 2015-10-02.
- "Twoo - Meet New People". Formspring.me. Retrieved 2015-10-02.
- "Stereo Skyline headlining the Stuck On Repeat Tour Summer 2010". YouTube. 2010-05-28. Retrieved 2015-10-02.
- "Top 200 Albums". Billboard. 2010-08-07. Retrieved 2015-10-02.