Sterling by Harry Hall
Sterling (1868 – 26 March 1891) was a British racehorse and sire. Although he was not particularly successful in terms of major wins he was very highly regarded, being rated by his jockey Harry Custance as the equal of Thormanby.
Sterling was a bay horse bred and owned by the Graham family who owned the Yardley Stud near Birmingham. His dam, Whisper, was bred by Mr. R. Taylor and produced ten foals between 1866 and her death in 1882. Sterling was her third foal and one of six sired by Oxford. Whisper's other good racers included Playfair.
Sterling won five races including the Liverpool Autumn Cup at Aintree Racecourse. He also finished second to Bothwell in the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket on 25 April 1871. In the autumn of 1871, the owner of the Belmont Stakes winner Harry Bassett's owner issued a challenge to the owner of Sterling for a one and a half mile match race at level weights, to be run in the United States. Sterling's owner responded by offering to put up £12,000 to the American's £8,000, but only if the match took place in England. The race never materialised.
Sterling was much more successful as a breeding stallion than he had been as a racehorse. He sired the classic winners Harvester, Paradox, Enterprise and Enthusiast. His best runner however was probably Isonomy, who won two Ascot Gold Cup in 1879 and 1880. Sterling died on 26 March 1891 at 23.
|My Dear||Bay Middleton|
|Decoy||Filho da Puta|
|Solace (Family: 12-a)|
- Mortimer, Roger; Onslow, Richard; Willett, Peter (1978). Biographical Encyclopedia of British Flat Racing. Macdonald and Jane’s. ISBN 0-354-08536-0.
- "Sterling". Thoroughbred Heritage. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- Weatherby (1885). "Whisper". The General Stud Book. 15: 502.
- Weatherby (1881). "Whisper". The General Stud Book. 14: 487.
- "THE SUEZ MAIL". Otago Witness. 17 June 1871. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- "untitled". Grey River Argus. 1872-01-25. Retrieved 2011-11-28. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Weatherby (1893). "Obituary of stallions". The General Stud Book. 17: 923.
- "Sterling pedigree". equineline.com. 2012-05-08. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- "Thoroughbred Bloodlines - Whiteshirt Mare - Family 12-a". Bloodlines.net. Retrieved 2013-04-14.