Sterling Township, Brown County, Ohio
|Sterling Township, Brown County, Ohio|
Church on State Route 286 near Five Mile
Location of Sterling Township in Brown County
|• Total||28.4 sq mi (73.6 km2)|
|• Land||28.4 sq mi (73.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||922 ft (281 m)|
|• Density||156/sq mi (60.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085805|
Located in the northern extension of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Perry Township - north
- Green Township - east
- Pike Township - south
- Williamsburg Township, Clermont County - southwest
- Jackson Township, Clermont County - northwest
Part of the village of Mount Orab is located in southeastern Sterling Township.
Name and history
It is the only Sterling Township statewide.
Sterling Township was established in 1824 from land given by Perry and Pike townships.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Sterling township, Brown County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- The History of Brown County, Ohio. Higginson Book Company. 1883. p. 686.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.