Stevan K. Pavlowitch
|Stevan K. Pavlowitch|
Belgrade, Kingdom of Yugoslavia
|Residence||Southampton, United Kingdom|
|Institutions||University of Southampton|
|Alma mater||University of Paris|
Stevan K. Pavlowitch (Serbian: Stevan K. Pavlović, Стеван К. Павловић; born 1933) is the emeritus professor of Balkan history at the University of Southampton and a fellow of the Royal Historical Society, specializing in history, international relations, and current affairs.
Stevan Kosta Pavlowitch was born in Belgrade in 1933. His family members had a long history as diplomats in the service of Serbia's Karađorđević dynasty. His great-grandfather Kosta Pavlović was the first mayor of Niš following its liberation from the Ottoman Turks in 1878, as well as the head of the Belgrade branch of Serbian Prime Minister Jovan Ristić's Liberal Party. Pavlowitch's grandfather, also named Stevan K. Pavlović, was an influential lawyer, interpreter and diplomat who served as an assistant to Serbia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, governed the 77th District of Rotary International, headed the Serbian–French Friendship Society and was awarded the Legion of Honour by the French Government. Pavlowitch's father Kosta St. Pavlović was a historian and writer who served as a diplomat prior to the Axis invasion of Yugoslavia in April 1941.
Pavlowitch began his schooling in Bucharest, where his father was stationed as a diplomat. Just before Yugoslavia's occupation by Germany, Italy and Hungary, Pavlowitch and his parents left the country via Nikšić airport and sought refuge in London, accompanied by Dušan Simović, Momčilo Ninčić, Miloš Trifunović, Draško Stojković, Slobodan Jovanović, and their families. Jovanović was cousins with Pavlowitch's father. Jovanović and Pavlowitch's family remained friends in exile. When Jovanović died in December 1958, he was buried on the Pavlowitch family's burial plot in London.
Exiled, Pavlowitch studied history in Paris and the School of Slavonic and Yugoslav Studies at King's College in London. From 1958 to 1965, Pavlowitch worked as a journalist and was stationed in Belgium and Italy. In 1965, he joined the staff of the University of Southampton and in 1997 became the emeritus professor of Balkan history. He is currently the emeritus professor of Balkan history at the University of Southampton and a fellow of the Royal Historical Society.
- Pavlowitch, Stevan K. (1961). Anglo–Russian Rivalry in Serbia, 1837–1839: The Mission of Colonel Hodges. Paris: Mouton & Company.
- Pavlowitch, Stevan K. (1971). Yugoslavia. New York: Praeger.
- Pavlowitch, Stevan K. (1978). Bijou d'art: Histoires de la vie, de l'œuvre et du milieu de Bojidar Karageorgévitch, artiste parisien et prince balkanique (1862–1908). Lausanne: Éditions L'Âge d'Homme.
- Pavlowitch, Stevan K.; Biberaj, Elez (1982). The Albanian Problem in Yugoslavia: Two Views. London: Institute for the Study of Conflict.
- Pavlowitch, Stevan K. (1985). Unconventional Perceptions of Yugoslavia 1940–1945. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Pavlowitch, Stevan K. (1988). The Improbable Survivor: Yugoslavia and its Problems 1918–1988. Columbus: Ohio State University Press.
- Pavlowitch, Stevan K. (1992). Tito: Yugoslavia's Great Dictator. Columbus: Ohio State University Press.
- Pavlowitch, Stevan K. (1999). A History of the Balkans 1804–1945. London, New York: Longman.
- Павловић, Стеван К. (2001). Историја Балкана. Београд: Clio.
- Pavlowitch, Stevan K. (2002). Serbia: The History Behind the Name. London: C. Hurst & Company.
- Republished in USA as : Pavlowitch, Stevan K. (2002). Serbia: The History of an Idea. New York: New York University Press.
- Павловић, Стеван К. (2004). Србија: Историја иза имена. Београд: Clio.
- Павловић, Стеван К. (2004). Историја Балкана 1804-1945 (2 ed.). Београд: Clio.
- Pavlowitch, Stevan K. (2008). Hitler's New Disorder: The Second World War in Yugoslavia. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Павловић, Стеван К. (2009). Хитлеров нови антипоредак: Други светски рат у Југославији. Београд: Clio.
- Pavlović, Stevan K. (2012). Božid'art: Istorije života, dela i okruženja Božidara Karađorđevića, pariskog umetnika i balkanskog kneza (1862-1908). Beograd: Clio.
- Slobodan Marković (7 February 2002). "Balkan u novoj prizmi" (in Serbian). Vreme. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Porodica Pavlović čuvar gradskog duha" (in Serbian). Glas Javnosti. 7 March 2005. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Balkan odozgo" (in Serbian). Glas Javnosti. 29 September 2001. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Dva avionska leta" (in Serbian). Politika Online. 11 December 2011. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Ivana Mićević (2 December 2011). "Posmrtni ostaci Slobodana Jovanovića stižu u Srbiju" (in Serbian). Večernje novosti. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Pavlowitch, Stevan K." The Writers Directory. Ed. Lisa Kumar. 29th ed. Vol. 2. Detroit: St. James Press, 2012.
- "Professor Stevan K. Pavlowitch". University of London.