This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Bisley in February 2012
|Born||26 December 1951|
Lake Munmorah, New South Wales, Australia
Steve Bisley (born 26 December 1951) is an Australian film and television actor, best known for his roles in the films Mad Max and The Great Gatsby, and as Detective Sergeant Jack Christey in the television series Water Rats.
Life and career
Bisley's major television roles have included A Town Like Alice as well as the Australian police dramas Water Rats, Police Rescue, and Halifax f.p.. He had a role in the Australian television medical drama series The Flying Doctors. He also had a regular appearance in the third and final season of the critically acclaimed Australian satirical television series Frontline. He Played Joe Byrne in The Last Outlaw TV mini series. Bisley also played Dr Henry King in the ABC-TV series G.P.
In his youth and continuing to present day he has been close friends with actor Mel Gibson, with whom he attended NIDA and starred in the movies Summer City (1977) and Mad Max (1979). The latter role is his best-known performance, in which he played "Jim Goose", the best friend and partner to Gibson's character. The Mad Max trilogy has since become a cult classic, and was the film that launched Gibson to mainstream stardom. Bisley and Gibson also starred together in The Chain Reaction (1980), in which Gibson only appeared in a brief cameo role. His other film credits include roles in The Highest Honor (1983), The Winds of Jarrah (1983), Fast Talking (1984), Silver City (1984), The Big Steal (1990), Over the Hill (1992), and "Red Hill" (2010), the gritty Australian drama in which Bisley played the Police Inspector "Old Bill".
Bisley is also a well-known stage actor, appearing in Drama productions. His stage roles include that of Banjo Paterson in the musical theatre production of The Man from Snowy River: Arena Spectacular – from August 2002 through to October 2002.
Bisley appeared in the first three seasons of the Australian TV drama Sea Patrol as Commander Steve Marshall.
In 2013, he appeared as Dan Cody in Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of The Great Gatsby. He released his autobiography, Stillways: A Memoir in the same year, and was subsequently shortlisted for the 2014 Douglas Stewart Prize for Non-Fiction in the NSW Premier's Literary Awards, the Queensland Literary Awards, and the 2014 National Biography Awards.
In 2016, Bisley appeared as Harry Firth in the two-part Australian miniseries Brock which premiered on Network Ten on 9 October. The miniseries was based on the life of Australian motor racing legend Peter Brock.
His second wife was Sally Burleigh, a media publicist, they married in 2000 and had two children before divorcing in 2006. In September 2009 Bisley was charged with assaulting Burleigh and, on 15 September 2010, he was found guilty and sentenced to "300 hours community service". Bisley lodged an appeal against the conviction. In July 2013 while promoting his autobiography, Stillways: A Memoir, he described the assault as "a push and shove incident with high emotion displayed on both sides".
- Winner AFI award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in the 1984 film Silver City.
- Winner AFI award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in the 1990 film The Big Steal.
- Member of the Australian Film Walk of Fame in recognition of his film and television career.
- Summer City (1977) .... Boo
- Newsfront (1978) .... The Iceman
- Mad Max (1979) .... Jim Goose
- The Last of the Knucklemen (1979) .... Mad Dog
- The Chain Reaction (1980) .... Larry
- The Highest Honor (1982) .... A.B. W.G. Falls
- Squizzy Taylor (1982) .... 'Snowy' Cutmore
- The Winds of Jarrah (1983) .... Clem Mathieson
- Fast Talking (1984) .... Redback
- Silver City (1984) .... Victor
- The Clean Machine (1988) .... Ed Riordan
- The Big Steal (1990) .... Gordon Farkas
- Over the Hill (1992) .... Benedict
- Sanctuary (1995) .... Robert 'Bob' King
- Frontline (1997) ... Graham "Prowsey" Prowse
- In the Red (1999) .... Sparky
- The View from Greenhaven (2008) .... Lach
- Subdivision (2009) .... Harry
- Red Hill (2010) .... Old Bill
- I Love You Too (2010) .... Bill
- The Wedding Party (2010) .... Roger
- The Great Gatsby (2013) .... Dan Cody
- Brock at the Internet Movie Data Base
- "Home Truths". The Australian. News Corp Australia. 13 July 2013. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- Flynn, Greg (7 April 1982). "Costume Play for Kim". The Australian Women's Weekly. Supplement: TV & Entertainment World. National Library of Australia. p. 146. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Actor Steve Bisley charged with assaulting ex-wife Sally Burleigh". The Australian. News Corp Australia. 9 September 2009. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Actor Steve Bisley found guilty of assaulting Sally Burleigh". The Daily Telegraph. 15 September 2010. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- Davies, Lisa (22 September 2010). "'Just don't judge me', says actor Steve Bisley". The Herald Sun. News Corp Australia. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Australian Film Festival Walk of Fame". Chic Traveller. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- "The Dictionary of Performing Arts in Australia – Theatre . Film . Radio . Television – Volume 1" – Ann Atkinson, Linsay Knight, Margaret McPhee – Allen & Unwin Pty. Ltd., 1996
- "The Australian Film and Television Companion" – compiled by Tony Harrison – Simon & Schuster Australia, 1994