Steve Bren is the son of Diane and Donald Bren, billionaire and chairman of the US-based real estate investment company, the Irvine Company. His paternal grandfather was Hollywood movie producer Milton H. Bren.
After a fairly successful stint in US Formula Super Vee in 1985, Bren moved to the new American Racing Series in 1986. While he only participated in four races, he was competitive in all his ARS starts. That year he also completed rookie orientation for the Indianapolis 500 but could not find a ride to make a qualification attempt. He made two one-off starts in the CART Championship Car series in 1988 at Laguna Seca Raceway and 1990 at Long Beach, however he failed to finish either race. Steve's brother Cary also drove in Super Vee and Indy Lights.
Bren later became a property developer and art collector.
As of 2015, he is the #1 delinquent taxpayer in the state of California, owing $4,567,003.27.
Bren has been married twice:
- In 1988, Steven married model Thais Baker in a Roman Catholic ceremony. They later divorced and she remarried golfer Fred Couples.
- In July 2010, Bren married Erica Spangler of Honolulu, Hawaii. Steve and Erica have a daughter, Bella Rose Bren born in Ketchum, Idaho.
- Steve Bren - Where are they now?, OldRacingCars.com
- Los Angeles Times: "Steven Bren, Ex-Model to Wed at Mission" by ANN CONWAY August 26, 1988
- Orange County Weekly: "Steven Bren, Son of Billionaire Irvine Co. Chairman, Lands on Tax Delinquent List" By Matt Coker April 13, 2010
|This biographical article related to United States auto racing is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|