Steve C. Jones
Steve CarMichael Jones
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia|
|Assumed office |
March 3, 2011
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Orinda Dale Evans|
Steve CarMichael Jones
January 26, 1957
|Political party||Democratic Party|
|Education||University of Georgia (B.B.A.)|
University of Georgia School of Law (J.D.)
Steve CarMichael Jones (born January 26, 1957) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia and a former Georgia Superior Court judge.
Early life and education
Jones graduated from Cedar Shoals High School in Athens, Georgia. He received a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from University of Georgia in 1978. He then ran the Child Support Recovery Office for the local District Attorney for six years. Jones attended the University of Georgia School of Law and earned his Juris Doctor in 1987. He went to work as an assistant district attorney.
Georgia state judicial service
Jones served as a Municipal Court judge in Athens-Clarke County from 1993 to 1995. In 1995, Governor Zell Miller appointed Jones to be a Georgia Superior Court judge for the Western Judicial Circuit, which includes Clarke and Oconee counties.
Federal judicial service
In April 2009, Jones was one of three candidates recommended by Democratic members of the Georgia House delegation to replace judge Hugh Lawson on the United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia. Jones did not receive the nomination, which went to Macon attorney Marc Treadwell in February 2010.
After Jones was passed over for the Middle District of Georgia, which serves his hometown of Athens, Jones received consideration for a judgeship on the Atlanta-based United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia. On July 14, 2010, President Barack Obama nominated Jones to replace Orinda D. Evans on the Northern District of Georgia. His nomination was confirmed by the Senate on February 28, 2011 by a vote of 90 ayes to 0 nays. He received his commission March 3, 2011.
- Allison Floyd, Obama taps Jones for federal court Archived 2010-07-18 at the Wayback Machine, Athens Banner-Herald (July 15, 2010).
- President Obama Names Five to United States District Court Archived 2010-07-16 at the Wayback Machine, whitehouse.gov (July 14, 2010).
- "Judge Jones: Judge of character Archived 2011-03-15 at the Wayback Machine," Athens Banner-Herald (March 13, 2011).
- "Jones, Steve CarMichael – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- Joe Johnson, Jones misses out on federal bench Archived 2011-06-14 at the Wayback Machine, Athens Banner-Herald (February 27, 2010).
- R. Robin McDonald, Athens judge eyed for bench, Fulton County Daily Report (April 20, 2010).
- Joe Johnson, Questions now asked of judicial nominee Archived 2011-06-14 at the Wayback Machine, Athens Banner-Herald (July 16, 2010).
- Steve C. Jones at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Steve C. Jones at Ballotpedia
Orinda Dale Evans
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia