January 17, 1980
Nyack, New York
|Occupation||Author, public speaker|
|Alma mater||Fordham University|
|Notable works||The Mind of a Winner|
Early life and education
Canal was born in New York in 1980. His parents were born in Haiti and came to United States in late 1970s. Canal received his early education in New York City and attended Fordham University where he received his graduation degree in Sociology, in 2002. Canal represented the Fordham Rams in Atlantic 10 Conference basketball games between 1998 and 2002.
Canal began his basketball career in 1998 while attending Fordham University in New York City. Canal represented Fordham Rams in 92 games, spreading over four seasons of Atlantic 10 Conference between 1998 and 2002. He played at forward position and scored over 340 points.
After basketball, Canal started his professional career as an Operational Manager at Vital Marketing, New York, in 2003. In 2011, Canal joined MillerCoors, a beer brewing company based in Chicago. Canal is currently serving as a National Community Affairs Lead at MillerCoors in New York. He is accountable for the growth and execution of community investment and outreach strategies at the organization.
In 2017, Canal authored his debut book, The Mind of a Winner. The book was published in July with contributions from Daymond John, Barbara Corcoran, Enitan Bereola II, Grammy award winner 2 Chainz and Kenny Smith.The Mind of a Winner focuses on personal growth of an individual. The book rose to #1 on the Amazon bestseller list in August, 2017. Canal is also the founder and CEO at The Brand Executive, a personal development firm based in New York.
In 2015, Canal married his long-term girlfriend, Swin Cash, in Atlanta, Georgia. Cash is an executive with the NBA's New Orleans Pelicans and played in the Women's National Basketball Association.
- Dionne Mahaffey Steve Canal, author of The Mind of a Winner Forbes Retrieved 17 October 2017
- Tyrus Townsend BE Modern Man: Meet ‘Mr. Entrepreneur’ Steve Canal Black Enterprise Retrieved 17 October 2017
- Steve Canal - Player profile ESPN Retrieved 17 October 2017
- Technically UMass upset Fordham takes advantage Retrieved 17 October 2017
- Marc Maturo North Rockland sends two to Hall; Nyack another Retrieved 17 October 2017
- Steve Canal at Sports Reference Sports Reference Retrieved 17 October 2017
- Yvette Caslin MillerCoors’ Steve Canal talks ‘Tap the Future,’ how to win a pitch competition Retrieved 17 October 2017
- MillerCoors’ marketing exec Steve Canal helping the company be America’s best beer brand Retrieved 17 October 2017
- Arionne Nettles HoneyMoon Brewery Crowned as Miller Lite Tap the Future $200K Winner Chicago Defender Retrieved 17 October 2017
- Malcolm Bowser Great Reads: The Mind of A Winner by Steve Canal Retrieved 17 October 2017
- Porsha Monique ‘The Brand Executive’ Steve Canal pens powerful new book ‘The Mind of a Winner’ Retrieved 17 October 2017
- Roz Edwards Steve Canal’s inspiring new book ‘The Mind of a Winner’ hits No. 1 on charts Michigan Chronicle Retrieved 17 October 2017
- The Mind Of A Winner: Entrepreneur Reveals The DNA Of A Leader Retrieved17 October 2017
- Porsha Monique Steve Canal on the writing process for his best-seller, ‘The Mind of a Winner’ Retrieved 17 October 2017
- Paul Doyle UConn Women's Insider: With New Job, Swin Cash Doesn't Miss Playing Hartford Courant Retrieved 17 October 2017
- Tying the knot, four WNBA players get married over past week Fox Sports Retrieved 17 October 2017
- Lowe, Zach (June 10, 2019). "Pels hire Swin Cash for senior front-office job". ESPN. Retrieved 10 June 2019.
- Neil Best Swin Cash adds Knicks studio analyst to basketball and TV resume Newsday Retrieved 17 October 2017