January 17, 1980
Nyack, New York
|Occupation||Author, public speaker|
|Alma mater||Fordham University|
|Notable works||The Mind of a Winner|
Early life and education
Canal was born in New York City in 1980. His parents were born in Haiti and came to United States in late 1970s. Canal received his early education in New York City and attended Fordham University where he received his graduation degree in sociology, in 2002. Canal represented the Fordham Rams in Atlantic 10 Conference basketball games between 1998 and 2002.
Canal began his basketball career in 1998 while attending Fordham University in New York City. Canal represented Fordham Rams in 92 games, spreading over four seasons of Atlantic 10 Conference between 1998 and 2002. He played at forward position and scored over 340 points.
After basketball, Canal started his professional career as an operational manager at Vital Marketing, New York, in 2003. In 2011, Canal joined MillerCoors, a beer brewing company based in Chicago. Canal is currently serving as a National Community Affairs Lead at MillerCoors in New York City. He is accountable for the growth and execution of community investment and outreach strategies at the organization.
In 2017, Canal authored his debut book, The Mind of a Winner. The book was published in July with contributions from Daymond John, Barbara Corcoran, Enitan Bereola II, Grammy award winner 2 Chainz and Kenny Smith.The Mind of a Winner focuses on personal growth of an individual. The book rose to No. 1 on the Amazon bestseller list in August 2017. Canal is also the founder and CEO at The Brand Executive, a personal development firm based in New York City.
In 2015, Canal married his long-term girlfriend, Swin Cash, in Atlanta, Georgia. Cash is an executive with the NBA's New Orleans Pelicans and played in the Women's National Basketball Association.
- Dionne Mahaffey Steve Canal, author of The Mind of a Winner Forbes Retrieved October 17, 2017
- Tyrus Townsend BE Modern Man: Meet ‘Mr. Entrepreneur’ Steve Canal Black Enterprise Retrieved October 17, 2017
- Steve Canal – Player profile ESPN Retrieved October 17, 2017
- Technically UMass upset Fordham takes advantage Retrieved October 17, 2017
- Marc Maturo North Rockland sends two to Hall; Nyack another Retrieved October 17, 2017
- Steve Canal at Sports Reference Sports Reference Retrieved October 17, 2017
- Yvette Caslin MillerCoors’ Steve Canal talks ‘Tap the Future,’ how to win a pitch competition Retrieved October 17, 2017
- MillerCoors’ marketing exec Steve Canal helping the company be America’s best beer brand Retrieved October 17, 2017
- Arionne Nettles HoneyMoon Brewery Crowned as Miller Lite Tap the Future $200K Winner Chicago Defender Retrieved October 17, 2017
- Malcolm Bowser Great Reads: The Mind of A Winner by Steve Canal Retrieved October 17, 2017
- Porsha Monique ‘The Brand Executive’ Steve Canal pens powerful new book ‘The Mind of a Winner’ Retrieved October 17, 2017
- Roz Edwards Steve Canal’s inspiring new book ‘The Mind of a Winner’ hits No. 1 on charts Michigan Chronicle Retrieved October 17, 2017
- The Mind Of A Winner: Entrepreneur Reveals The DNA Of A Leader Retrieved17 October 2017
- Porsha Monique Steve Canal on the writing process for his best-seller, ‘The Mind of a Winner’ Retrieved October 17, 2017
- Paul Doyle UConn Women's Insider: With New Job, Swin Cash Doesn't Miss Playing Hartford Courant Retrieved October 17, 2017
- Tying the knot, four WNBA players get married over past week Fox Sports Retrieved October 17, 2017
- Lowe, Zach (June 10, 2019). "Pels hire Swin Cash for senior front-office job". ESPN. Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- Neil Best Swin Cash adds Knicks studio analyst to basketball and TV resume Newsday Retrieved October 17, 2017