Cangialosi replaced Mike "Doc" Emrick after he stepped down from the play-by-play role after 21 seasons in 2011. He currently serves with color analyst and former NHL defensemen, Ken Daneyko after working for 3 seasons with Chico Resch, former NHL goaltender. Previous to this, Cangialosi served as the backup play-by-play announcer to Emrick and the primary studio host for pre/post and intermission studio shows. He has also had other various jobs in television and radio including a three-year run as a sports talk-show host on ESPN radio in New York City. Steve Cangialosi broadcast his first Olympic Games at the London 2012 games, broadcasting Association Football matches.
Cangialosi works on Red Bulls games with color analyst and former New York Cosmos goalkeeper Shep Messing and also occasionally works on international soccer matches for BeIn Sport, Fox Sports and NBC Sports, where he has broadcast several Olympic, Gold Cup and Europa League soccer matches..
Cangialosi began his broadcasting career at Sports Phone, a dial-in sports score service, while he was still attending college in 1984. After he spent a year as the sports editor at WNEW-FM, he worked in a similar capacity from 1987 to 1992 at WINS, where he was the station's youngest on-air reporter. He joined NY1 in August 1992 as one of the channel's original on-air personalities. He was the host of New York Sports on 1 during his eight years at NY1 until 2000. He concurrently was a talk-show host and sportscaster at ESPN Radio from 1997 to 2000. Also calls soccer matches for Bein Sport. Cangialosi broadcasts hockey and soccer for ONE World Sports.
A Queens native, Cangialosi was raised in South Ozone Park. He is the second of Victor and Rose Cangialosi's three sons. His father was a photographic technician at Authentic Color in New York City. After graduating from John Adams High School, he earned a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism from New York University in 1985. He was the son-in-law of Robert Ivers.
- Steve Cangialosi to Replace Doc Emrick as Devils Play-By-Play Caller In Lou We Trust. 2011-09-10. Retrieved 2012-03-20.
- Steve Cangialosi: Devils Television Host and Red Bulls Television Play-by-Play MSG.com. 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2012-03-20.
- Steve Cangialosi, Sports Anchor/Reporter (profile) – NY1 News.
- Harney, John. "Mom Knew Steve Would Be A Player And Once He Became A Sportscaster, Rose Cangialosi Insisted He Pluck His Eyebrows," Daily News (New York City), Sunday, December 22, 1996.
- Steve Cangialosi (profile) – NBC Sports Group.
- Steve Cangialosi, MSG Plus Play-by Play (profile) – New Jersey Devils.
- "WEDDINGS; Mallory Prestlien, Steven Cangialosi," The New York Times, Sunday, April 2, 1995.
- Goldberg, Melissa. "Bob Ivers: Actor, news anchor, advertising exec" (obituary), Variety (magazine), Thursday, March 13, 2003.