|Member of the Australian Parliament
2 July 2016
|Preceded by||Matt Williams|
9 October 2004 – 7 September 2013
|Preceded by||Christine Gallus|
|Succeeded by||Matt Williams|
13 June 1959 |
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
|Political party||Australian Labor Party|
|Occupation||Taxi driver, underwriter, policy advisor|
|Website||Official Facebook Page|
Steven "Steve" Georganas (born 13 June 1959) is an Australian politician and is the Australian Labor Party member for the House of Representatives seat of Hindmarsh in South Australia from the 2004 election until the 2013 election. He was re-elected at the 2016 election.
Georganas was born in Adelaide of Greek parents. He gained a Business Studies Certificate at a TAFE college and worked as a taxi driver, an assembly-line worker in a factory, and an underwriter. He worked as a ministerial adviser to South Australian government minister Jay Weatherill from 2002 to 2004.
At the 2004 federal election, Georganas defeated Liberal candidate Simon Birmingham, winning Hindmarsh by 108 votes. He was re-elected with increased majorities at the 2007 and 2010 federal elections.
Georganas was defeated by Liberal candidate Matt Williams at the 2013 federal election when the Australian Labor Party lost government. Georganas was successful at recapturing the seat for Labor at the 2016 federal election.
He is a prominent advocate for animal welfare and curtailing live animal exports, speaking at rallies and tabling motions in parliament calling for the practice to be condemned and fines to be imposed for animal cruelty. He also campaigned for the super-trawler FV Margiris to be banned from fishing in Australia.
He is a supporter of the West Adelaide Football Club, and a member of the club's board of directors. He is also involved in numerous community organizations, including as president of his local Lions club, and as a board member of the Adelaide Greek Glendi Festival.
- "Hindmarsh - Australia Votes | Federal Election 2013 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)". ABC News. Retrieved 2016-02-13.
- "Steve Georganas". ALP.org.au. Australian Labor Party. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- "Hindmarsh – Election 2010". The Tally Room. 2009-10-25. Retrieved 2016-05-03.
- Georganas elected unopposed: Neos Kosmos 3 September 2015
- Novak, Lauren (10 October 2012). "MP Steve Georganas to be firm but fair in the chair". The Advertiser.
- "Parliamentary Business: Airport Development and Aviation Noise Ombudsman Bill 2007". Parliament of Australia.
- McGreggor, Ken (11 September 2012). "Urgent review of live export supply chain needed, says MP Steve Georganas". Herald Sun.
- "Thousands to rally against live exports with signs saying 'Come on Julia, don't be a chicken'". news.com.au. 6 October 2012.
- Hockley, Catherine (8 July 2011). "Labor backbenchers revolt over cattle trade resumption". The Advertiser.
- "Lower House votes down same-sex marriage bill". ABC News. Retrieved 2016-02-13.
- "MP campaigns for do not knock register". ABC News. 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2016-05-03.
- "Parliamentary Business: Do Not Knock Register Bill 2012". Parliament of Australia.
- "Board Members | West Adelaide Football Club". westadelaidefc.com.au. Retrieved 2016-05-03.
- "Adelaide's Coast FM 88.7". www.coastfm.com.au. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
|Parliament of Australia|
|Member for Hindmarsh
|Member for Hindmarsh