|Member of Parliament
for St Austell and Newquay
6 May 2010 – 30 March 2015
|Preceded by||Constituency Created|
|Succeeded by||Steve Double|
6 November 1976 |
Truro, Cornwall, England
|Political party||Liberal Democrat|
Stephen David John Gilbert (born 6 November 1976) is a British Liberal Democrat politician. He was elected at the 2010 general election the Member of Parliament (MP) for the new constituency of St Austell and Newquay, but lost his seat at the 2015 general election to the Conservative Party candidate Steve Double.
Born in Truro, Gilbert was educated at schools in Lostwithiel, Fowey and St Austell. He went on to study International Politics at University of Wales, Aberystwyth and completed a Master's degree, also in International Politics, at the London School of Economics.
He is a former Restormel Borough Councillor, whose area overlaps considerably with the constituency, and a former Haringey Borough Councillor. Briefly working in the Westminster office of the then Liberal Democrat MP, Lembit Öpik, and he also worked as a public affairs consultant for a financial services company in London.
Gilbert was one of 24 openly gay MPs in the House of Commons during the 2010-15 term.
He was first elected to Parliament in 2010 as MP for the new constituency of St Austell and Newquay with a majority of 1,312.
On being elected, he was appointed to the Select Committee for Communities and Local Government. He has also served as a Junior Government Whip and as chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Housing.
In September 2012 he was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Energy & Climate Change Secretary of State Ed Davey.
In 2013 he helped rescue a woman from the River Thames, throwing a lifebuoy after spotting what he had first thought was a body floating past the House of Commons terrace.
- Letts, Quentin (5 February 2013). "'Equality' was said so often it became as bruised as an old peach". The Daily Mail. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "List of Members returned to serve in Parliament at the General Election 2010". London Gazette. 2010-05-13. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- Staff (7 May 2010). "Election 2010: St Austell & Newquay". BBC News (BBC). Retrieved 9 May 2010.
- "St Austell & Newquay Parliamentary constituency". Election 2015 (BBC News). Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Stephen Gilbert".
- "Steve Gilbert background".
- Geen, Jessica. "Lib Dem MP Steve Gilbert calls for progress on gay marriage". PinkNews.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-05.
- "House of Commons Public Bill Committee on the Defence Reform Bill 2013-14". Parliament.uk. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "MP Stephen Gilbert helps save woman from River Thames". BBC News. 23 October 2013. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- Stephen Gilbert MP official website
- Column archives at the Liberal Democrat Voice
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for St Austell and Newquay
2010 – 2015