Steve Grand (roboticist)
Steve Grand OBE (born 12 February 1958) is a British computer scientist and roboticist. He was the creator and lead programmer of the Creatures artificial life simulation, which he discussed in his first book Creation: Life and how to make it, a finalist for the 2001 Aventis Prize for Science Books. He is also an Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, which he received in 2000.
Grand's project from 2001-2006 was the building of an artificial robot baby orang-utan, with the intention of having it learn as a human baby would. This is documented in his book Growing up with Lucy.
- Lucy, the Android
Grand worked on Sim-biosis, a computer simulation game in which complete artificial creatures could be built from functional, structural units. It is available on SourceForge under the name Simergy.
In February 2011, Grand announced a new project, Grandroids, described as "real 'alien' life forms who can live in a virtual world on your computer".
|Library resources about |
|By Steve Grand|
- Creation: Life and how to make it (2001) ISBN 0-7538-1277-0
- Growing up with Lucy (2004) ISBN 0-297-60733-2
- What is the Secret of Consciousness? (2014) TEDxOporto presentation
- Daniel, Dr (9 January 2006). "Science seen under the right conditions". BBC News. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 April 2008. Retrieved 7 August 2014.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "SCI/TECH | Robots get busy". BBC News. 27 December 2000. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Radio 4 - The Material World 07/04/2005". BBC. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Dermody, Nick (18 March 2004). "UK | Wales | A Grand plan for brainy robots". BBC News. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Lyall, Sarah (2 February 2002). "Man Who Would Be God: Giving Robots Life". The New York Times.
- Dermody, Nick (18 March 2004). "A Grand plan for brainy robots". BBC News.
- Grand, Steve (2008). "Creating artificial life for fun, one cell at a time" (PDF). PerAda Magazine. doi:10.2417/2200812.1449.
- "Blowing my own trumpet « Steve Grand's Blog". Stevegrand.wordpress.com. 28 February 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Official website
- Transcript of Steve's keynote speech, "Machines Like Us," given at the Applied Knowledge Research Institute's 2002 Biennial Seminar
- Steve Grand at the Creatures Wiki
- Feature article on Steve Grand's anthropoid orangutan, Lucy
- Steve Grand quotes
- Steve Grand's discussion with Johnjoe McFadden
- Cyberlife Research Limited
- Steve Grand's Machines Like Us interview
- Grandroids: Real artificial life on your PC a project by Steve Grand