Steve Holland (politician)
|Member of the Mississippi House of Representatives
from the 16th district
November 5, 1955 |
|Alma mater||Mississippi State University|
|Profession||Farmer, Funeral Home Director|
Daniel Steven Holland (born November 5, 1955, in Tupelo, Mississippi) is a Democratic member of the Mississippi House of Representatives, representing the 16th district since 1985. He was also a contender for the Democratic nomination in Mississippi's 1st congressional district special election, 2008 but he lost the primary runoff to Travis Childers. He is of Dutch, Italian, and Native American descent.
In 2012, Holland submitted a Bill to the Mississippi Legislature to change the name of the Gulf of Mexico - for all official uses within the state - to the "Gulf of America". This bill is a reflection of Holland's sense of humor, and is his way of criticizing the priorities of the Republicans in the House. Similarly, he co-sponsored a bill in 2017 to donate $1 million to President Donald Trump's proposed border wall, the same year when Mississippi's operating budget was $300 million short. 
On March 24, 2017 Holland announced that his doctors had diagnosed him with dementia, and that he would not seek re-election at the end of his term in 2019.
- Public Health and Human Services - Chair
- Congressional Redistricting
- Judiciary A
- Judiciary En Banc
- Legislative Budget Committee
- Legislative Reapportionment
- Select Cmte on the Gulf Coast Disaster
- djournal.com: 2008 Voter's Guide
- Robertson, Campbell; Howle, Cynthia (April 24, 2013). "2 Tangled Lives Collide, Again, in Ricin Case". The New York Times. Retrieved April 25, 2013.
- "HOUSE BILL NO. 150" (PDF). Mississippi House of Representatives. Retrieved January 28, 2014.
- Official Campaign website
- Mississippi State Legislature - Representative Steve Holland
- facebook page
- Project Vote Smart - Representative Daniel Steve Holland (MS) profile
- Follow the Money - Steve Holland
|This article about a Mississippi politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|