Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
|Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine|
|Directed by||Alex Gibney|
|Produced by||Viva Van Loock|
|Written by||Alex Gibney|
|Narrated by||Alex Gibney|
|Music by||Will Bates|
|Edited by||Michael J. Palmer|
|Distributed by||Magnolia Pictures|
Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine is a documentary film about Steve Jobs directed and produced by Alex Gibney. After a few festival showings, the film was released to the Internet on September 4, 2015 and in limited release to theaters on September 19, 2015.
- Bob Belleville
- Chrisann Brennan
- Andy Grignon
- Daniel Kottke
- Fred Anderson
- Steve Jobs (archival)
- Michael S. Malone
- Regis McKenna
- Michael Moritz
- Joe Nocera
- Jon Rubinstein
- Avie Tevanian
- Sherry Turkle
- Steve Wozniak (archival)
- Narrator: Alex Gibney
The documentary features Jobs' 1983 Apple keynote address introduction to the famous 1984 Super Bowl XVIII advertisement directed by Ridley Scott, during a look at the history of the Apple Macintosh, and includes behind-the-scenes footage of the making of the advertisement.
When examining Apple's iPod and iPhone products, footage from the 1991 film Until the End of the World is shown to highlight the social implications these products have had on human interaction and isolation.
On Rotten Tomatoes the film has an approval rating of 77%, based on 77 reviews, with an average rating of 7.1 out of 10. The site's consensus reads "Steve Jobs: Man in the Machine offers absorbing viewing, even if it doesn't delve deeply into its complex subject."
Writing on behalf of Roger Ebert's website, Godfrey Cheshire awarded the documentary 3 out of 4 stars, praising Gibney's "cinematic virtue" to include some "very emotional interview material that couldn’t be equaled by the printed page" (referring to journalist and author Walter Isaacson's biographical book Steve Jobs).
- Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine (2015)
- Graham, Jefferson (September 5, 2015). "Review: 'Machine' shows Steve Jobs' dark side". USA Today. Retrieved September 5, 2015.
- Murray, Noel (September 3, 2015). "Alex Gibney takes a bite out of Apple in Steve Jobs: The Man In The Machine". The A.V. Club. Retrieved September 3, 2015.
- Turan, Kenneth (September 3, 2015). "Review: 'The Man in the Machine' takes a bite out of Steve Jobs' life". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 3, 2015.
- Official Website
- Chang, Justin (March 14, 2015). "SXSW Film Review: 'Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine'". Variety. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- Knipp, Chris (September 8, 2015). "Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine". Flickfest.co.uk. Retrieved September 8, 2015.
- "Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 6, 2017.
- Godfrey Cheshire (September 4, 2015) "Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine". Roger Ebert.com. Ebert Digital LLC.