||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Jocz singing during "Pain for Pleasure"
|Born||Stephen Martin Jocz
July 23, 1981
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
|Spouse(s)||Jessy Moss (m. 2008)|
Stephen Martin "Steve" Jocz (born July 23, 1981), nicknamed Stevo32 or Stevo, is a Canadian musician and music video director. He is best known as the former drummer for the Canadian rock band Sum 41.
In 1999, the band signed an international record deal with Island Records. The band released their debut album, All Killer No Filler in 2001. The band achieved mainstream success with their first single from the album, "Fat Lip", which reached number-one on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart and remains the band's most successful single to date. All Killer No Filler' was certified platinum in the United States, Canada and in the UK. The band has since released five more studio albums: Does This Look Infected? (2002), Chuck (2004) Underclass Hero (2007), Screaming Bloody Murder (2011) and 13 Voices (2016). The three albums before Screaming Bloody Murder have been certified platinum in Canada.
The band often performs more than 300 times each year and holds long global tours, most of which last more than a year. They have been nominated for seven Juno Awards and have won twice (Group of the Year in 2002 and Rock Album of the Year for Chuck in 2005). Their fifth studio album, Screaming Bloody Murder, was released on March 29, 2011. With Sum 41, he is known for his outspoken personality and toilet humor in interviews. He is sometimes considered the frontman of the band because of his outgoing personality and the fact he often takes over interviews. He performed lead vocals on some of their songs, including – most notably – "Pain for Pleasure" and "Fat Lip".
Aside from drums, Jocz plays the piano and guitar. He sings lead vocals for the Sum 41 alter-ego heavy metal band Pain For Pleasure. He is also featured on drums in his ex band-mate Jason McCaslin's side project, the Operation M.D. on both of their albums, where he is referred to as Dr. Dinero, although uncredited on the first album.
Jocz (pronounced Yotch) is of Polish descent. He was born in Ajax, Ontario, to Marg and Phil Jocz, and has an older sister named Jenn. Around 1993, he met future Sum 41 frontman, Deryck Whibley. They became the first two members of the band, which formed out of two rival bands at their local high school. Jocz married singer Jessy Moss in November 2008. The couple has a son named Owen together, born April 20, 2011. In an interview, he states that he is an atheist. Although he was "raised in a church", he thinks religion is silly and is a great metaphor, but not true. Stevo is also an avid fan of Iron Maiden.
- Half Hour of Power (2000)
- All Killer No Filler (2001)
- Does This Look Infected? (2002)
- Does This Look Infected Too? (2003)
- Chuck (2004)
- Go Chuck Yourself (2005)
- Underclass Hero (2007)
- All the Good Shit: 14 Solid Gold Hits 2000-2008 (2009)
- Screaming Bloody Murder (2011)
The Operation M.D.
- The Best Damn Thing (2007) – drums on "One of Those Girls" and "Contagious"
- Detox (2002)
As a director, Steve has created the following music videos:
- "Change For You" (2006) – The Midway State
- "Sayonara" (2007) – The Operation M.D.
- "Underclass Hero" (2007) – Sum 41
- "Someone Like You" (2007) – The Operation M.D.
- "With Me" (2008) – Sum 41
- "Starstrukk" (2009) – 3OH!3
- "Starstrukk" (Remix) (2009) – 3OH!3 featuring Katy Perry
- "No Hablo Ingles" (2009) – Bowling for Soup
- "No Way But the Hard Way" (2009) – Airbourne
- "Screaming Bloody Murder" (2011) – Sum 41
- "Sailing" (2013) - The Strumbellas
- The music channel "Kerrang" rated him the 40th best drummer of all time.
- "Artists Chart History" (PDF). Billboard. Nielsen Company. Archived from the original on April 7, 2015. Retrieved August 17, 2008.
- Edwards, Gavin (December 17, 2001). "People of the Year 2001: Sum 41". Rolling Stone. Wenner Media. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- "Sum 41 Past Tour Dates". Island Records. Retrieved August 17, 2008.
- "Island | Island Def Jam". Islandrecords.com. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "Updates from Sum 41". Punknews.org. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- Sum 41 official site
- Zildjian Artist Profile
- Stevo on video "Change For You" (only available in Canada)
- Article: Sum 41 drummer busy director
|Drummer for Sum 41