|Employer||Founder and chairman, Integrated Research
Founder and former chairman, Smarter Capital
Founder, Global Peace Index
Founder and chairman, Institute for Economics and Peace
Stephen (Steve) Killelea AM is an Australian IT entrepreneur. He began his career, after doing a crash course in computing and working for a computer manufacturer, by developing a product for computer systems management that became internationally successful and led him to set up a US company, Software Products, that went public.
In August 1988, Killelea formed the Australian company Integrated Research, which was listed on the Australian Stock Exchange in 2000. The company's main business is systems management for international corporations such as Visa, Mastercard and American Express; the New York, London and Hong Kong stock exchanges; and most of the world's ATMs. Having stepped down as chief executive November 2004, he is still chairman of the company that now branches into the field of internet telephony. Killelea also has an IT venture capital fund named Smarter Capital, which is one of the investors behind Australian software firm Emagine International.
Killelea is the creative force behind the Global Peace Index study, launched in May 2007, that attempts to rank the world's nations’ and regions’ peacefulness. The Index is endorsed by the Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu and Jimmy Carter. He is the founder of the Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) which is "analysing the impact of peace on sustainability, defining the 'Peace Industry', estimating the value of peace to the world economy, and uncovering the social structures and social attitudes that are at the core of peaceful societies". In 2013, Steve Killelea’s founding of IEP was recognized as one of the 50 most impactful philanthropic gifts in Australia’s history by a coalition including the Myer Family Company, The Myer Foundation and Sidney Myer Fund, Pro Bono Australia, Swinburne University and Philanthropy Australia. He is also notable as being Australia's largest individual donor to overseas aid. He sits on the advisory board of the Washington DC based Alliance for Peacebuilding and is a member of the Presidents Circle of the Club of Madrid.
In 2008, Killelea was the producer and chief financier for the documentary Soldiers of Peace, which was shown at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival, where it received The Club of Budapest World Ethic Film Award. The documentary also won Best Feature Film at the Monaco International Film Festival.
Honors and awards
In June 2010, Steve Killelea was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia for his service to the community through the global peace movement and the provision of humanitarian aid to the developing world. In 2013 he was nominated one of the “Top 100 Most Influential People in Armed Violence Reduction” by the UK group Action on Armed Violence. In 2015, he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
- "Give peace a rating". The Economist. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Lunch with Steve Killelea". Financial Review. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Integrated Research eyes growth from US acquisition of IQ Services". Financial Review. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Stephen J. Killelea AM". Businessweek.com. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- Laura Reston. "The Most And Least Peaceful Countries Worldwide". Forbes. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Steve Killelea on the Global Peace Index". The Saturday Paper. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "When the bottom line is world peace". The Sydney Morning Herald. 2006-02-10. Retrieved 2009-06-22.
- Galvin, Nick (2009-05-03). "Prophet of peace". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2009-06-22.
- "Norway rated most peaceful nation". BBC News. 2007-05-30. Retrieved 2009-06-22.
- "Vision of Humanity". Retrieved 2009-06-22.
- "Australia's Top 50 Philanthropic Gifts of All Time". ProBono Australia. 2013-10-14. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- Review of "Soldiers of Peace" by Joyce King Heyraud Psychological Perspectives, February 2010
- "Queen's Brithday [sic] honours". The Age. 2010-06-13. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "Top 100: The most influential people in armed violence reduction". Action on Armed Violence. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "PRIO Director's Speculations 2015 - PRIO". prio.org. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- Prognosis by Integrated Research
- Integrated Research Steve Killelea is the founder of Integrated Research
- Global Peace Index
- Institute for Economics and Peace
- Club of Budapest
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Steve Killelea.|
- Steve Killelea is the Chairman of Smarter Capital