|Inspector General of the Department of State|
|Assumed office |
September 30, 2013
|Preceded by||Harold Geisel (Acting)|
Howard J. Krongard
|Inspector General of the Federal Housing Finance Agency|
|Education||Georgetown University (BA, MA, JD)|
Steve A. Linick is an American attorney and career State Department official who serves as Inspector General of the Department of State and leads the Office of Inspector General of the Department of State In 2013, he was nominated by President Barack Obama and was confirmed by the United States Senate.
Early life and education
Linick served as an Assistant United States Attorney in California from 1994 to 1999 and Virginia from 1999 to 2006. He also served as Executive Director of the Department of Justice’s National Procurement Fraud Task Force and Deputy Chief of its Fraud Section in the Criminal Division from 2006 to 2010. During his tenure at the Department of Justice, he supervised and participated in white-collar criminal fraud cases involving corruption and contract fraud against the U.S. in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Linick began his tenure as the Inspector General for the U.S. Department of State on September 30, 2013. As Inspector General, Linick is the senior official responsible for identifying operational risks within the Department of State and the U.S. Agency for Global Media, assessing the sufficiency of internal controls, and conducting administrative and criminal investigations of waste, fraud, mismanagement, and misconduct. He is responsible for providing oversight to more than 70,000 Department of State and U.S. Agency for Global Media employees, 270 overseas missions and other facilities worldwide, and more than $70 billion in Department of State, U.S. Agency for Global Media, and foreign assistance resources. He also serves as the Associate Inspector General for designated overseas contingency operations.
- Jennifer Hansler and Devan Cole (October 2, 2019). "Who is the State Department inspector general briefing Congress today?". cnn.com. Retrieved October 3, 2019.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- "PN636 - Nomination of Steve A. Linick for Department of State, 113th Congress (2013-2014)". Congress.gov. September 17, 2013. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
- "President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts". whitehouse.gov. June 27, 2013. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
- "Steve A. Linick, Inspector General". Office of Inspector General. United States Government. December 3, 2014. Retrieved November 17, 2018.
- "State Dept. Finally Fills Vacant Position After Cruz Pledged to Block Nominees". Weekly Standard. Weekly Standard. June 29, 2013. Retrieved November 17, 2018.
- VOA News (October 2, 2019). "Democrats Puzzled by State IG's 'Urgent' Meeting". voanews.com. Retrieved October 3, 2019.
- "Giuliani says State Dept vowed to investigate after he gave Ukraine docs to Pompeo".