|2nd Directly Elected Mayor of Elk Grove|
|Assumed office |
November 8, 2016
|Preceded by||Gary Davis|
|Elk Grove City Council|
|Education||University of California, Davis, UC Davis School of Law|
Early life, education, and career
Steve and his family immigrated from Xiangkhouang Province, Laos, to the United States, during the Vietnam War, starting his new life at age 4. He graduated the University of California, Davis with a degree in Sociology and Political Science, and eventually graduating UC Davis School of Law with a Doctor of Jurisprudence.
Steve has served as the Director to Serve Elk Grove and Director to Asian Pacific School Board Members Association, Director to the Hmong National Development, Director to the National Parent Teacher Home Visitation Project, with the Elk Grove Optimist Club, Executive Board member of SEIU-UHW, Sacramento County Sheriffs Community Advisory Board, California State Advisory Council on Refugee Assistance and Services, Carroll Elementary School Site Council, Boards official liaison to Sacramento County Office of Education, Elk Grove School Board's Clerk, and as Elk Grove City Councilman. He has also provided academic support and counseling to youth in juvenile hall.
Mayor Ly was city councilmen of District 4.
Mayor of Elk Grove
Elected in November 8, 2016 and winning re-election in December 12, 2018, he has advocated for youth education and empowerment, boosting the economy with more infrastructure, civic amenities, and jobs.
Mayor Ly has built a Costco, aquatics center, animal shelter, veterans hall, community center, and senior center.
Ly plans the construction of one, possibly two, hospitals and a bio tech center.
- "Elk Grove's new mayor cheered by Hmong worldwide". The Sacramento Bee. December 10, 2016.
- "For nation's first Hmong mayor, life is an 'American story'". NBC News. Retrieved March 8, 2020.
- "Full Biography for Steve Ly". www.smartvoter.org. Retrieved March 8, 2020.
- "Steve Ly". The Greater Sacramento Economic Council. Retrieved March 8, 2020.
- Writer, Lance Armstrong Citizen Staff. "Ly talks about new mayoral term". Elk Grove Citizen. Retrieved March 8, 2020.
- Writer, Lance Armstrong Citizen Staff. "Election '18: Mayor Ly kicks off re-election campaign". Elk Grove Citizen. Retrieved March 10, 2020.
- "For nation's first Hmong mayor, life is an 'American story'". NBC News. Retrieved March 10, 2020.
- "Mayor Steve Ly – Serving the Elk Grove community". Retrieved March 10, 2020.