Early life and education
McIntosh was born on July 3, 1960 in Norwalk, Connecticut. His father was an Australian and his mother was English. He graduated from University High School in West Los Angeles in 1978. In 1984, he graduated from the University of Southern California business school, winning the USC Entrepreneur Program's Best Business Plan Award.‹See TfM›[failed verification] In 1987 he graduated from the University of Virginia Law School where he served as articles editor of the Virginia Law Review.
After becoming a member of the California Bar in 1987, he worked for the law firm Pillsbury, Madison & Sutro. In 1990 he moved to Boulder, Colorado to become vice president of Earth Wise, Inc. In 1991 Earth Wise was acquired by the Celestial Seasonings tea company, where McIntosh served as an executive officer and general counsel. In 1995 he left that position to found Now & Zen, Inc., serving as the company's CEO until 2012. Now & Zen, Inc., is in Boulder, Colorado. All Now & Zen products were conceived and designed by McIntosh.
In the late 1990s McIntosh became interested in the integral movement. In 2000 he was invited to join Ken Wilber's Integral Institute, where he served as a member in consortiums on Integral Art and Integral Business. He left the Integral Institute in 2002.
In 2007 Parragon published his first book: Integral Consciousness and the Future of Evolution: How the Integral Worldview Is Transforming Politics, Culture and Spirituality. In 2012 Select Books published his second book, Evolution's Purpose: An Integral Interpretation of the Scientific Story of Our Origins. In 2015 Quest Books published McIntosh's book on spiritual experience: The Presence of the Infinite: The Spiritual Experience of Beauty, Truth, and Goodness. McIntosh has also written numerous articles on integral philosophy and politics. He has been interviewed by New Dimensions Radio, and the Institute of Noetic Sciences and online at Beyond Awakening, The Daily Evolver, and What Is Enlightenment? Magazine.
In 2012, McIntosh partnered with integral authors and former EnlightenNext editors Carter Phipps and Elizabeth Debold, and University of Colorado philosopher Michael E. Zimmerman, to found The Institute for Cultural Evolution (ICE). In 2015, the work of the Institute for Cultural Evolution received write ups in The National Journal."Beyond the Culture Wars: an Unconventional Summit on the Future of the Right". National Journal. July 16, 2015. Retrieved February 1, 2016.
In November 2019, ICE launched an online character development exercise to foster the practice of virtues, inviting people to create a personalized “Portrait of the Good.”
In 2020 McIntosh’s fourth book was published Developmental Politics: How American Can Grow Into a Better Version of Itself. In May 2020, Areo Magazine published McIntosh’s article "Towards a Post-Progressive Political Perspective"
- 1997 The Golden Mean Book (Now & Zen) ISBN 978-0-9647645-3-8
- 2007 Integral Consciousness and the Future of Evolution (Paragon House) ISBN 978-1-55778-867-2
- 2012 Evolution's Purpose: An Integral Interpretation of the Scientific Story of Our Origins (Select Books, New York) ISBN 978-1-59079-220-9
- 2015 The Presence of the Infinite: The Spiritual Experience of Beauty, Truth, and Goodness (Quest Books) ISBN 978-0-8356-0941-8
- 2020 Developmental Politics: How American Can Grow Into a Better Version of Itself (Paragon House) ISBN 978-1557789426
- Articles and blogs
- 2001 Noosphere Evolution and Value Metabolism, Integral World
- 2004 World Federation: A Transcendent Vision of Integral Consciousness, Integral World
- 2004 Transcendence Through Inclusion: An Integral Obligation, Integral World
- 2007 The Natural Theology of Beauty, Truth and Goodness, Integral World
- 2008 Integral Politics and the Evolution of Consciousness and Culture, Tikkun Magazine July/August
- 2008 Problematizing Interobjectivity, A Response to Edwards, AQAL: Journal of Integral Theory and Practice Vol 3, No. 4.
- 2009 Winning in Afghanistan—An Integral Strategy for Peace, EnlightenNext March/May
- 2016 "A New Political Center". "The Hill"  Dec 7, 2016
- 2016 "After Trump Loses, We Can Build a Sane Republican Party." "The Daily Beast" 
- 2017 "What Is the Upside of Nationalism?" "BOLD" 
- 2020 “Progressives Can Show Evangelicals They Don't Need Trump.” "Real Clear Politics" 
- 2020 “Polarization Is More of a Cultural Problem Than a Political One.” "The Fulcrum" 
- 2020 “Towards a Post-Progressive Political Perspective.”Areo Magazine" 
- What is Enlightenment? Magazine, no.38, December 2007 refers to McIntosh as an "integral thinker par excellence"
- The Launch of Earth Wise, Boulder Daily Camera, July 23, 1990
- "Spiritually Alarming Wake-up Call: Boulder entrepreneur designs a gentle sounding alarm clock with philosophical overtones", Rocky Mountain News October 14, 1996
- Now & Zen Chimes a Final Time in Boulder, Boulder Daily Camera, August 8, 2012: https://www.dailycamera.com/2012/08/19/now-zen-chimes-a-final-time-in-boulder/
- "Cool Zen Tools", GQ, December 2000
- "SelectBooks". www.selectbooks.com.
- Integral Politics and the Evolution of Consciousness and Culture, Tikkun Magazine, July/August 2008
- Toms, Michael (November 26, 2007). "The Culture of the Integralist" (Interview). New Dimensions Radio Archive. Archived from the original (MP3) on September 28, 2011.
- O'Dea, James. "Teleseminar with Steve McIntosh" (Interview). Shift In Action Archive. Archived from the original (MP3) on January 28, 2010.
- Carter Phipps’ Interview: Integral Politics Comes of Age, What Is Enlightenment? Magazine, December 2007, Issue 38
- "The War On Partisanship: How fighting polarization became its own cause". National Journal. October 20, 2015. Retrieved February 1, 2016.
- "About Us: Overview". Institute for Cultural Evolution.
- "Character Exercise".