Stephen Ian “Steve” McIntosh (b. July 3, 1960) is an American author, activist, lawyer, and entrepreneur. He is the founder and president of Now & Zen, Inc., and an influential writer in the field of integral thought. His career path to becoming a noted integral author, and his ongoing activism in this movement, help contextualize the emerging field of integral thought.[according to whom?]
Steve McIntosh is a first generation American, born in Norwalk, Connecticut to an English mother and Australian father. He grew up in Los Angeles, with his first career focusing on Olympic-class bicycle racing, including riding in America’s “National Tour”, the Coors Classic bicycle race in 1980 and 1981. In 1983 he was a pioneer in the new sport of mountain bicycle racing, riding for Ross Bicycles, the world’s first factory sponsored mountain bike racing team.
In 1984 he graduated from the University of Southern California business school, winning the USC Entrepreneur Program’s “Best Business Plan Award”. In 1987 he graduated among the top of his class from the University of Virginia Law School where he served as articles editor of the Virginia Law Review. After becoming a member of the California Bar in 1987, he worked for the law firm Pillsbury, Madison & Sutro. In 1990 he moved to Boulder, Colorado to become vice president of the start-up environmental products company, Earth Wise, Inc. In 1991 Earth Wise was acquired by Celestial Seasonings tea company, where McIntosh served as an executive officer and general council. In 1995 he left Celestial Seasonings to found Now & Zen, Inc., serving as the company’s CEO until 2012.
Now & Zen, Inc., headquartered in Boulder, Colorado, is a growing brand of "natural lifestyle products", featuring the famous Zen Alarm Clock, which wakes users gradually with a series of acoustic chimes. All Now & Zen products have been conceived and designed by McIntosh, with a brand aesthetic that combines the harmonic proportions of sacred geometry with motifs from traditional Japanese culture. The company’s mission is to provide products that remind people that they live in the presence of the sacred, however they may define it. Now & Zen is a profitable enterprise employing over twenty people, and does business both online and through its walk up store on Boulder's Pearl Street Mall.
As a result of his focus on progressive spirituality and cultural evolution, in the late 1990s McIntosh became involved in the integral movement. In 2000 he was invited to join leading integral author Ken Wilber’s Integral Institute, where he served in both the Integral Art branch and the Integral Business branch. He left the Integral Institute on good terms in 2002 in order to establish himself as an independent voice in the integral movement. This led to the 2007 publication of his major work: Integral Consciousness and the Future of Evolution: How the Integral Worldview Is Transforming Politics, Culture and Spirituality (Paragon House 2007). Integral Consciousness was followed in 2012 by McIntosh's second integral philosophy book, Evolution's Purpose: An Integral Interpretation of the Scientific Story of Our Origins (Select Books, New York).
In addition to his books, McIntosh also appears in the DVD interview: The Evolution of Consciousness, and is the author of a variety of scholarly articles on integral philosophy and politics. McIntosh has also been featured in numerous interviews in the growing on-line seminar sector, including Beyond Awakening, Evolving Wisdom, and What Is Enlightenment? Magazine. He has also been interviewed by New Dimensions Radio, the Institute of Noetic Sciences, and other progressive media.
In 2004, his focus on the application of integral philosophy to politics led him to found The Project for Integral World Federation, a non-profit organization dedicated to cultural and political evolution. The organization’s primary activity is the hosting and promotion of the on-line petition: A Declaration of the Value of Global Governance. This declaration, modeled after Thomas Jefferson’s 1776 Declaration of Independence for the United States, seeks to raise consciousness about the benefits of a future system of limited, democratic, federal, integral world government.
In 2012 McIntosh partnered with integral authors and former EnlightenNext editors Carter Phipps, Elizabeth Debold and Andrew Cohen, together with University of Colorado philosopher Michael E. Zimmerman, to found the think tank, The Institute for Cultural Evolution. Through a series of targeted campaigns, this non-profit social policy foundation is working to evolve public opinion and build political will around difficult issues affected by the culture war, such as climate change.
- 1997 The Golden Mean Book (Now & Zen) ISBN 978-0-9647645-3-8
- 2007 Integral Consciousness and the Future of Evolution (Paragon House) ISBN 978-1-55778-867-2
- 2012 Evolution's Purpose: An Integral Interpretation of the Scientific Story of Our Origins (Select Books, New York) ISBN 978-1-59079-220-9
- 2015 The Presence of the Infinite: The Spiritual Experience of Beauty, Truth, and Goodness (Quest Books) ISBN 978-0-8356-0941-8
- Other writings
- 2001 Noosphere Evolution and Value Metabolism, Integral World
- 2004 World Federation: A Transcendent Vision of Integral Consciousness, Integral World
- 2004 Transcendence Through Inclusion: An Integral Obligation, Integral World
- 2007 The Natural Theology of Beauty, Truth and Goodness, Integral World
- 2008 Integral Politics and the Evolution of Consciousness and Culture, Tikkun Magazine July/August
- 2008 Problemitizing Interobjectivity, A Response to Edwards, AQAL: Journal of Integral Theory and Practice Vol 3, No. 4.
- 2009 Winning in Afghanistan—An Integral Strategy for Peace, EnlightenNext Magazine March/May
- 2012 Premises and Principles of the Evolutionary Worldview, CulturalEvolution.org
- 2013 Climate Change Amelioration Plan, CulturalEvolution.org
- 2014 Depolarizing the American Mind, CulturalEvolution.org*
- 2015 Fostering Evolution in Islamic Culture, CulturalEvolution.org
- What is Enlightenment? Magazine, no.38, December 2007 refers to McIntosh as an "integral thinker par excellence"
- The Launch of Earth Wise, Boulder Daily Camera, July 23, 1990
- Spiritually Alarming Wake-up Call: Boulder entrepreneur designs a gentle sounding alarm clock with philosophical overtones, Rocky Mountain News October 14, 1996
- Zen and the art of shut-eye maintenance, Forbes magazine, November 30, 1998
- Walter Truett Anderson, The Next Enlightenment, St. Martins Press, 2003, ISBN 0-312-31769-7, p. 196
- "Cool Zen Tools", GQ Magazine, December, 2000
- Integral Politics and the Evolution of Consciousness and Culture, Tikkun Magazine, July/August, 2008
- Carter Phipps’ Interview: Integral Politics Comes of Age, What Is Enlightenment? Magazine, December, 2007, Issue 38
- Michael Tom’s Interview: The Culture of the Integralist, New Dimensions Radio Archive MP3 
- James O’Dea’s Teleseminar with Steve McIntosh, Shift In Action Archive MP3 
- Democracy gets a 21st-century makeover; An internet initiative is making plans for a post-UN global government, What Is Enlightenment? Magazine, October, 2004, Issue 27