Steve Oram at Mar del Plata Film Festival 2013
|Born||Stephen John Oram
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, England, UK
|Occupation||Actor, comedian, writer, film maker|
Steve Oram is an English actor, comedian, writer, and filmmaker. He is known for his role in the 2012 film Sightseers, which he also co-wrote.
Life and career
Oram was born in Leicestershire, England.
He started as a character comedian on the comedy circuit and performed several comedy shows at the Edinburgh Fringe with comedy partner Tom Meeten during the early 2000s. He also appeared at Ealing Live, a comedy night at Ealing Studios, where he met and started working with Alice Lowe.
In 2002, Oram and Meeten wrote and starred in Channel 4's Matthew & Tone: Tales of Friendship and Innocence. It was directed by Dominic Brigstocke and screened in season 5 of the Comedy Lab series. Oram also composed much of the music used in the show.
Oram appeared in various TV & film roles throughout the 2000s including the 2nd series of People Like Us (2001), the feature film It's All Gone Pete Tong (2004) starring Paul Kaye, Tittybangbang (2006–07) and Suburban Shootout (2006). He also played Donnie the tramp in series 3 of The Mighty Boosh (2007), written by and starring Julian Barratt and Noel Fielding.
In 2008 his short film Connections screened at Cannes Film Festival as part of the official Straight 8 selection.
Oram has written and directed numerous short films under the pseudonym "Steve Aura" and released under the banner of Lincoln Studios.
With Meeten he performs a long-running comedy show in London called Oram & Meeten's Club Fantastico.
On television he has appeared in Wipers Times (2013) written by Iain Hislop and Nick Newman, an episode of The Secrets (2014) alongside Alison Steadman and Olivia Colman, an episode of Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy (2014), the Jack Thorne series Glue (2014) and The Living and the Dead (2016).
Oram released his directorial debut Aaaaaaaah! in 2015, a film in which the characters communicate entirely in ape-like grunts. It starred Oram himself alongside Julian Barratt, Toyah Willcox, Julian Rhind-Tutt, Noel Fielding and Holli Dempsey. The film's soundtrack features a number of tracks from the King Crimson ProjeKcts albums.
|2002||Ant Muzak||Marco||Short film|
|2004||It's All Gone Pete Tong||Blinky|
|2005||The Wingnut Tapes||Dad||Short film. Co-writer|
|2011||Kill List||Radio Reporter|
|2013||Welcome to the Punch||Journalist|
|2013||The World's End||Motorcycle Policeman|
|2014||The Last Summer On Earth||Ginger Goofball||Short film. Co-writer|
|2014||Cuban Fury||Security guard Kevin|
|2014||Paddington||Paddington Station Security Guard|
|2015||Captain Webb||Professor Fred Beckwith|
|2015||The Bad Education Movie||Officer Rowe|
|2015||Aaaaaaaah!||Smith||Writer / Director|
|2016||A Dark Song||Joseph Solomon|
|2001||People Like Us||Policeman/Sound Engineer|
|2002||Live Floor Show||Mr Richards|
|2002||Green Wing||Security Guard|
|2002||Comedy Lab: Matthew & Tone: Tales of Friendship and Innocence||Tone|
|2005||Twisted Tales - Death Metal Chronicles||Detective Sergeant Jack Tanner|
|2005||Comedy Lab: Skin Deep||Carl|
|2007||Where are the Joneses||Carston Whelk|
|2007||The Mighty Boosh||Donni||The Strange Tale of the Crack Fox|
|2008||LifeSpam: My Child is French||Various characters|
|2011||Dick and Dom's Funny Business||Teacher|
|2011||The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret||Officer Petty Hurt|
|2013||Life's Too Short||Paul Jacobs|
|2013||Wipers Times||Sergeant Harris|
|2014||The Job Lot||Keith Taylor|
|2014||The Secrets||Shaun||The Dilemna|
|2014||Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy||Terry||Series 2 Episode 2 Fantasy Block|
|2016||The Living and the Dead||John Roebuck|
|2017||The Moorside||DC Alex Grummit|
Awards and recognition
- 2012Awarded Best Screenplay (with Alice Lowe) by British Independent Film Awards for Sightseers:
- 2012Nominated Best Actor by British Independent Film Awards for Sightseers:
- 2012Awarded Best Screenplay (with Alice Lowe) by Mar del Plata Film Festival for Sightseers:
- 2012Awarded Best Screenplay (with Alice Lowe) by Sitges Film Festival for Sightseers:
- 2013Nominated Best Male Newcomer by Empire Awards for Sightseers:
- 2013Awarded Breakthrough British Filmmaker (with Alice Lowe) by London Critics Circle Film Awards for Sightseers:
- 2013Nominated ALFS Award – British Actor of the Year by London Critics Circle Film Awards for Sightseers:
- 2013Nominated Best First Feature-Length Film Screenplay (with Alice Lowe) by Writers' Guild of Great Britain for Sightseers:
- 2015Nominated The Discovery Award by British Independent Film Awards for Aaaaaaaah!:
- 2016Special Jury Mention New Direction Competition by Cleveland International Film Festival for Aaaaaaaah!:
- "Steve Oram in director Q&A". Phoenix Square. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Oram & Meeten Ding Dong review Chortle Edinburgh 2002".
- Gibson, Anthony (2013-03-27). "Steve Oram, star of Sightseers: Why I dressed up as a serial killer to go on holiday". Metro. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Dawtrey, Adam (2013-01-07). "A case study of Internet's impact on filmmakers". Variety. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Peter Bradshaw
- Sightseers at Rotten Tomatoes
- Ellen E. Jones
- Aaaaaaaah! at Rotten Tomatoes
- Aaaaaaaah! review by David Jenkins in Little White Lies
- Why every man should watch Aaaaaaaah! - Tom Fordy Daily Telegraph
- Aaaaaaaah! film review, Variety
- Brady, Tara (5 April 2017). "A Dark Song review: a nifty, novel Irish horror". The Irish Times. Retrieved 23 April 2017.