Steve Park (comedian)
Kelly Coffield Park (m. 1999)
Stephen Park is an American comedian and actor. The son of Korean immigrants, Park began his entertainment career as a stand-up comedian before transitioning into acting. He is best known for being a cast member of the sketch comedy television series In Living Color during the 1991–1992 season. He is also known for the film roles of Mike Yanagita in Fargo (1996), Sonny in Do the Right Thing (1989), and Detective Brian in Falling Down (1993).
—Steve Park, recounting his experience on the set of Friends
In 1997, Park wrote a mission statement in which he called for Hollywood to portray people of Asian descent in a less disparaging light. He wrote the statement after witnessing a racist incident while appearing in a guest role on the television series Friends.
In his statement, Park wrote that "In movies and television, Asian characters, mostly men, are subjected to indignity and violence or are tokenized, while Asian women are exploited as objects of sexual desire. You rarely see Asian characters in leading roles that contain any significant power or influence". Park also describes the negative effect that racial stereotypes in the media have on American society, and urges peace and love among people of different races.
Park's other acting work includes the role of Mike Sorayama in the Adult Swim animated television series The Venture Bros. and the role of Judge Pete in the critically acclaimed independent film Rocket Science (2007). Park has acted in two Coen brothers films, Fargo (1996) and A Serious Man (2009).
- Do the Right Thing (1989) - Sonny
- Falling Down (1993) - Detective Brian
- Fargo (1996) - Mike Yanagita
- Sgt. Bilko (1996) - Capt. Moon
- Red Ribbon Blues (1996) - Kris Lee
- Rocket Science (2007) - Judge Pete
- A Serious Man (2009) - Clive's father
- State of Play (2009) - Chris Kawai
- The Brass Teapot (2012) - Dr. Li Ling
- Snowpiercer (2013) - Fuyu
- The Gambler (2014) - 2
- Don Verdean (2015) - Poon-Yen
- The French Dispatch (2020)
- In Living Color (1991–1992) - Various
- The Venture Bros. (2004; Episode: "Past Tense") - Mike Sorayama (voice)
- Williams, Stephen (June 5, 2009). "'In Living Color,' the Sequel". The New York Times. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- Asian American Empowerment - Steve Park's Mission Statement
- Holden, Stephen (August 10, 2007). "A Boy Rendered Speechless by Life". The New York Times. Retrieved September 4, 2016.
- Emerson, Jim (April 25, 2011). "Steve Park: A funny man, serious and significant". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved September 3, 2016.