|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Steve Roud (//) is the creator of the Roud Folk Song Index and an expert on folklore and superstition, resident in Maresfield, East Sussex, England. He was formerly Local Studies Librarian for the London Borough of Croydon and Honorary Librarian of the Folklore Society, whose Committee he later rejoined.
Roud Folk Song Index
The Roud Folk Song Index is a database of nearly 200,000 references to songs that have been collected from oral tradition in the English language from all over the world. It is hosted on the web-site of the Vaughan Williams Memorial Library.
- (with Jacqueline Simpson) A Dictionary of English Folklore. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2000. ISBN 019210019X.
- (with Eddie Cass) Room, Room, Ladies and Gentlemen: an introduction to the English Mummers' play. London: English Folk Dance and Song Society/Folklore Society. 2002. ISBN 9780854181858.
- The Penguin Guide to the Superstitions of Britain and Ireland. London: Penguin. 2003. ISBN 0141006730.
- A Pocket Guide to Superstitions of the British Isles. London: Penguin. 2004. ISBN 9780140515497.
- The English Year: a month-by-month guide to the nation's customs and festivals, from May Day to Mischief Night. London: Penguin. 2006. ISBN 9780140515541.
- London Lore: the legends and traditions of the world's most vibrant city. London: Random House. 2008. ISBN 9781847945112.
- Monday's Child is Fair of Face: ... and other traditional beliefs about babies and motherhood. London: Random House. 2008. ISBN 9781905211524.
- The lore of the playground : one hundred years of children's games, rhymes and traditions. London: Random House. 2010. ISBN 9781905211517.
- (with Julia Bishop) The New Penguin Book of English Folk Songs. London: Penguin Classics. 2012. ISBN 9780141194615.
- Penguin Group (Canada) Archived May 12, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Vaughan Williams Memorial Library". English Folk Dance and Song Society. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "Roud Folksong Index search page". Vaughan Williams Memorial Library. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Review in the Guardian Archived July 22, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.