April 21, 1963 |
Hartford, CT, United States
|Labels||Sons of Sound, Curious Jazz|
Shapiro grew up in Connecticut and graduated from Yale University in 1985 after studying with artists Steve Swallow, Dave Samuels and Anthony Davis. He was an early proponent of music technology and midi synthesizers, appearing as a sound programmer on many New York City sessions in the late 1980s. Shapiro performed throughout the 1990s using the K&K midi vibraphone, which was also used by mallet players such as Mike Mainieri. However given the limitations of that technology, he eventually moved toward a more acoustic and traditional approach for many of his recordings. More recent advances in signal processing and amplification have led him back to performing with an electrified sound, and he has become one of the few vibraphone players to develop a voice inspired by contemporary instruments like the Fender Rhodes piano.
His credits include major jazz and pop artists, television, feature films, commercials, multimedia, and education. He has recorded with Steely Dan (Two Against Nature), Phil Collins, Whitney Houston, Ornette Coleman, Pat Martino, Regina Belle and Spyro Gyra. He has also performed with notable musicians like Marc Johnson, Curtis Fuller and Jimmy Heath. Very early, his interest in studio technology and composition led him to the world of film & television music. In 1993, Shapiro began an association with Disney/Pixar working on promotions for the first "Toy Story" movie. Since then, he has produced projects related to over 40 Disney feature film releases.
Shapiro has released 3 CDs with acclaimed Nashville guitarist Pat Bergeson, including the 2005 session Low Standards, and Backward Compatible in 2008.
Recordings as leader
- Xylophobia (Curious/Sons of Sound), with Pat Bergeson, Marc Johnson, Danny Gottlieb, Kevin Hays, Tim Ries, Mike Davis, Jim Hynes (2002)
- Low Standards (Sons of Sound), with Pat Bergeson, Doug Weiss, Scott Kreitzer, Jeff Williams, Annie Sellick (2005)
- Backward Compatible, with Pat Bergeson, Annie Sellick, Marc Johnson and others (2008)
Recordings as sideman (selected)
- Steely Dan, Two Against Nature, Giant Records
- SpyroGyra, Rites of Summer, MCA Records
- Various Artists, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Walt Disney Records
- Joe Pesci, Vincent LaGuardia Gambini Sings, Sony
- Various Artists, Preacher's Wife Soundtrack, Walt Disney Records
- Various Artists, Chicken Little Soundtrack, Walt Disney Records
- Dave Samuels, Living Colors, MCA Records
- Dave Valentin, Musical Portraits, GRP Records
- Regina Belle, Special Part of Me, CBS Records
- Chris Walker, First Time, Pendulum/Elektra
- Dave Valentin, Red Sun, GRP Records
- Chris Walker, Sincerely Yours, Pendulum/Elektra
- Kiku Collins, Here With Me, Innova
- Mary Gatchell, Indigo Rose
- Rebecca Sayre, New Girl
- Marica Hiraga, Mona Lisa, 3D Japan
- Mix Magazine, March 2000
- Vibraphone Technique: Dampening and Pedaling; by David Friedman; Berklee Press Publications; 1973.
- "The Vibraphone: A Summary of Historical Observations with a Catalog of Selected Solo and Small-Ensemble Literature"; by Harold Howland; Percussionist, volume 13, no. 2, Summer 1977