|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2010)|
Steve Shnider is professor of mathematics at Bar Ilan University. He received a PhD in Mathematics from Harvard University in 1972, under Shlomo Sternberg. His main interests are in the differential geometry of fiber bundles; algebraic methods in the theory of deformation of geometric structures; symplectic geometry; supersymmetry; operads; and Hopf algebras.
Book on operads
A 2002 book of Markl, Shnider and Stasheff Operads in algebra, topology, and physics was the first book to provide a systematic treatment of operad theory, an area of mathematics that came to prominence in 1990s and found many applications in algebraic topology, category theory, graph cohomology, representation theory, algebraic geometry, combinatorics, knot theory, moduli spaces, and other areas. The book was the subject of a Featured Review in Mathematical Reviews by Alexander A. Voronov which stated, in particular: "The first book whose main goal is the theory of operads per se ... a book such as this one has been long awaited by a wide scientific readership, including mathematicians and theoretical physicists ... a great piece of mathematical literature and will be helpful to anyone who needs to use operads, from graduate students to mature mathematicians and physicists."
According to Mathematical Reviews, Shnider's work has been cited over 300 times by over 300 authors by 2010.
- Markl, Martin; Shnider, Steven; Stasheff, James D (2002), Operads in algebra, topology, and physics, Mathematical surveys and monographs, v. 96, American Mathematical Society, ISBN 978-0-8218-2134-3
- Shnider, Steven; Sternberg, Shlomo (1993), Quantum groups : from coalgebras to Drinfeld algebras : a guided tour, Graduate texts in mathematical physics, 2., International Press, cop, ISBN 978-1-57146-000-4
- Shnider, Steven; Wells, Raymond O (1989), Supermanifolds, super twistor spaces and super Yang-Mills fields, Séminaire de Mathematiques Supérieures, Séminaire Scientifique OTAN (Nato advanced study institute), Département de Mathématiques et de Statistique, Université de Montréal, 106, Montréal (Québec) Presses de l'Univ. de Montréal, ISBN 978-2-7606-0286-1
- Katz, Mikhail G.; Schaps, David; Shnider, Steve (2013), "Almost Equal: The Method of Adequality from Diophantus to Fermat and Beyond", Perspectives on Science 21 (3), arXiv:1210.7750.
- Bangert, Victor; Katz, Mikhail G; Shnider, Steven; Weinberger, Shmuel (2009), "E7, Wirtinger inequalities, Cayley 4-form, and homotopy", Duke Mathematical Journal (Duke University Press) 146 (1): 35–70, arXiv:math.DG/0608006, doi:10.1215/00127094-2008-061, OCLC 298960889
- "Prof. Steven Shnider - staff page" (in Hebrew). Bar Ilan University. Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- Steven David Shnider, Mathematics Genealogy Project. Accessed January 24, 2010
- Alexander A. Voronov. "Review of Operads in algebra, topology and physics". MR 1898414. (2003f:18011) MathSciNet
- AMS Bookstore listing, American Mathematical Society. Accessed January 24, 2010
|This article about a mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|