Steve Sidwell (musician)
Some of his work include the composition of "Elements & Motion" for the 79th Academy Awards with the Hollywood SFX Chorale, which received an Emmy nomination. Other credits include London 2012 Summer Olympics closing ceremony, The Nightly Show 2017 with hosts Bradley Walsh and Jason Manford, the 2015 Rugby World Cup Opening Ceremony at Twickenham, 2015 and 2014 BBC Music Awards, BBC Live at Edinburgh Castle, 2014 Ryder Cup Gala, Robbie Williams Live at The Palladium, Bruce Forsyth's Hall of Fame, BBC The Voice series 1 and 2, Robbie Williams Live at the Albert, The Robbie Williams TV Special, Children in Need Rocks the Royal Albert Hall, Children in Need Rock the MEN, Children in Need Rocks for Terry, the BBC Olympic Handover Concert, Victoria Wood’s Christmas Special, Victoria's Empire, Chris Moyles' Quiz Night, Ant & Dec's Christmas Show and the opening of The Dubai World Cup.
Advertising campaigns include the award-winning Honda Civic Choir (conducted by Sidwell himself), Stella 4%, M&S Christmas featuring Shirley Bassey, Virgin Holidays featuring Charlotte Church, Nokia Navigator, Heineken, Orange, Bounty, Dulux, Lotto, Walkers, McDonald's, Supernoodles, Coca-Cola, Capital Radio London and Guinness.
Theatre credits include orchestrating Beautiful:The Musical for which Sidwell was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Orchestrations. Sidwell's 2015 Grammy Award was for the Best Musical Theatre Album for the original cast album Beautiful: The Musical. In 2017 Sidwell orchestrated Jim Steinman's Bat Out Of Hell. He also orchestrated We Will Rock You, Made In Dagenham, Our House, Daddy Cool, Viva La Diva, Dancing On Ice Live and Katherine Jenkins' Believe show.
Sidwell has also contributed to film including tracks for Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge! and Romeo + Juliet, Bridget Jones's Diary, SpongeBob SquarePants, Finding Nemo, Mona Lisa Smile, and 101 Dalmatians 2.
Album credits include the orchestration and conducting of Robbie Williams' multi-platinum selling albums Swings Both Ways and Swing When You're Winning. Recent projects include recordings with Sarah Brightman and the LSO, Paul Young, Jeff Beck, Seal, Shirley Bassey, Kerry Ellis and Paul Carrack.
Sidwell has also performed professionally with many international artists including Enya, George Michael, Amy Winehouse, Snow Patrol, Lily Allen, Cheryl Cole, Muse, Dizzee Rascal, Mika, Nik Kershaw, Take That, Annie Lennox, Leona Lewis, Tom Jones, Sting, Elton John, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Mark Knopfler, The Feeling, McFly, Will Young, Bryan Ferry, Joss Stone, Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart, Stevie Wonder, The Who, Ian Dury, Wet Wet Wet, Charlie Watts, Henry Mancini, Michael Nyman, Todd Rundgren, The Metropole Orchestra and Joan Armatrading.
Sidwell also conducted the score for Disney's Once Upon a Dream Parade, the daily parade at Disneyland Paris which was the centrepiece of the resort's 15 year anniversary in 2007. The music was performed by the 100-strong Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in London, and is a "little bit jazzy" in its style.
Steve Sidwell has also worked with Fairuz. He arranged her album Bebalee, released in September 2017. The album was recorded at Angel Studios in London in 2016, where Sidwell conducted the orchestra.
Sidwell is the orchestrator and arranger for the Broadway and West End musical Beautiful: The Carole King Musical. He was awarded the Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album for the soundtrack. He was also nominated for a Tony Award in 2014 and an Olivier Award in 2015.
- Secret Secrets - Joan Armatrading (1985)
- Save the Last Dance for Me - Ben E. King (1987)
- Faith - George Michael (1987)
- Stop! - Sam Brown (1988), on the track "Nutbush City Limits"
- Comedy - Black (1988)
- Black - Black (1991)
- Amused to Death - Roger Waters (1992), on the tracks "Late Home Tonight, Part I" and "... Part II"
- Je te dis vous - Patricia Kaas (1993)
- The Red Shoes - Kate Bush (1993)
- Elena - Maggie Reilly (1996)
- Older - George Michael (1996)
- Across from Midnight - Joe Cocker (1997)
- Life thru a Lens - Robbie Williams (1997)
- Twenty Four Seven - Tina Turner (1999)
- The Accused - Black (1999)
- No Ordinary World - Joe Cocker (1999)
- Twelve Months, Eleven Days - Gary Barlow (1999)
- Fabulous - Sheena Easton (2000)
- Play Mode - Randy Crawford (2000)
- Sing When You're Winning - Robbie Williams (2000)
- Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell (2000)
- Goddess in the Doorway - Mick Jagger (2001)
- Swing When You're Winning - Robbie Williams (2001)
- Escapology - Robbie Williams (2002)
- Seal - Seal (2003)
- Intensive Care - Robbie Williams (2005)
- The Moment - Lisa Stansfield (2005)
- Back to Black - Amy Winehouse (2006)
- Kill to Get Crimson - Mark Knopfler (2007)
- New - Paul McCartney (2013)
- 7 - Seal (2015)
- on YouTube