|Born:||August 8, 1969|
Charlotte, North Carolina
|High school:||West Charlotte (NC)|
|Head coaching record|
|Regular season:||NCAA: 5–6 (.455) NFL: 3–13 (.188)|
Steven Bernard Wilks (born August 8, 1969) is an American football coach who is the current defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League (NFL). He previously was the head coach for the Arizona Cardinals for one season and was fired after a 3-13 record. He also spent time as defensive backs coach for the Chicago Bears and San Diego Chargers, and as defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers.
San Diego Chargers
Wilks was not unemployed for long, however. He was hired as defensive backs coach of the San Diego Chargers in 2009 when former Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera moved to the same position in San Diego.
When Rivera became head coach of the Panthers, he hired Wilks as secondary coach on January 15, 2012. He was promoted to assistant head coach in 2015. He was Pro Football Focus's second runner up to their Secondary Coach of the Year award.
After the 2017 season, Wilks was an extremely hot commodity for teams in need of new head coaches. According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, teams were impressed by Wilks' interview with the Los Angeles Rams in the previous offseason before they eventually hired Sean McVay. Wilks interviewed with the New York Giants who had hired his former boss in Carolina, ex-Panthers general manager David Gettleman.
On January 22, 2018, the Arizona Cardinals hired Steve Wilks to be the next head coach of the Arizona Cardinals, replacing the recently retired Bruce Arians. In the 2018 season opener against the Washington Redskins, Wilks made his head coaching debut in the 24–6 loss. In Week 5, against the San Francisco 49ers, he recorded his first NFL victory as a head coach. He finished coaching the season with an NFL-worst 3–13 record and the worst record for the Cardinals since 2000. On December 31, 2018, the Cardinals fired Wilks.
NFL head coaches under whom Steve Wilks has served:
- Lovie Smith, Chicago Bears (2006–2008)
- Norv Turner, San Diego Chargers (2009–2011)
- Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers (2012–2017)
- Freddie Kitchens, Cleveland Browns (2019–present)
Head coaching record
|Savannah State (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) (1999)|
|Won||Lost||Ties||Win %||Finish||Won||Lost||Win %||Result|
|ARI||2018||3||13||0||.188||4th in NFC West||–||–||–||–|
- "Chicago Bears".
- "AFL stats".
- "Steve Wilks Records by Year". College Football Data Warehouse. Retrieved August 19, 2009.
- Biggs, Brad (December 30, 2008). "Bears make coaching move". Chicago Sun-Times. Archived from the original on January 1, 2009.
- Cox, Seth (January 22, 2018). "Steve Wilks will bring a different, yet more aggressive defensive style to the desert". Revenge of the Birds. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- "Steve Wilks: "You Guys Made The Right Decision"". www.azcardinals.com. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- "Super Bowl 50 - Denver Broncos vs. Carolina Panthers - February 7th, 2016". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved August 7, 2017.
- "Sean McDermott hired as Buffalo Bills' new head coach". NFL.com. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- "Giants interview Panthers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks". www.giants.com. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- "Steve Wilks Named New Cardinals Head Coach". Retrieved January 22, 2018.
- "Cardinals routed 24–6 by Redskins in Wilks' debut". AP News. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "There's One: Cardinals Get Just Enough In Win Over 49ers". www.azcardinals.com. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- "Chicago/St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals Team Encyclopedia". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- "Steve Wilks fired by Cardinals after one year with team". NFL.com. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- "Browns add Todd Monken and Steve Wilks as coordinators". ESPN.com. Retrieved January 14, 2019.
- "Bears Coaching Confidential: Steve Wilks". NBC Sports Chicago. January 3, 2018. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- Stapleton, Art. "5 things about Steve Wilks' Giants head coaching candidacy". North Jersey. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- "Panthers Ron Rivera: Steve Wilks is a 'hot commodity' for NFL head coaching position". charlotteobserver. Retrieved December 31, 2018.