This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
BA in Chemistry at Caltech in 1957MA in Psychology at Brandeis University in 1961
Steve Andreas is the son of Barry Stevens, a writer and gestalt therapist. He founded Real People Press, a publisher of works on psychology and personal change in 1967, in order to publish a book by Carl Rogers and Barry Stevens entitled Person to Person.
Andreas got a BA in chemistry from Caltech in 1957, then worked as a chemist at Shell.[self-published source?] Afterwards he went to graduate school at Brandeis University under Abraham Maslow and received an MA degree in psychology in 1961. After working as an analytical chemist for the U.S. Bureau of Mines for a year, he got a junior college teaching credential, and taught psychology and social science at Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill CA from 1962 to 1970.
He was introduced to Gestalt therapy in 1967 by Fritz Perls, and edited his books, Gestalt Therapy Verbatim and In and Out the Garbage Pail. He wrote Awareness, a book of exercises based on Gestalt Therapy in 1971. In 1971 he retired from teaching to focus on running Real People Press and setting up a small experimental community based on the principles of his book.
He became interested in Neuro-linguistic programming in 1977 and has been active in the field ever since. In 1979 Steve Andreas and his third wife Connirae Andreas established NLP of Colorado, now known as NLP Comprehensive, to develop the training arm of their business. Together they developed Eye movement Integration (EMI) several years before Danie Beauliau popularized it. They transferred ownership of NLP Comprehensive to Tom Dotz in 1998.[self-published source?]
He is on the board of trustees of the Research & Recognition project for scientific research of NLP interventions. The project started by focusing on running trials for a version of the NLP Fast Phobia Cure that they standardized under the name Reconsolidation of Traumatic Memories. In multiple clinical trials they reported a positive effect of the procedure for veterans who suffered from PTSD.[unreliable medical source?][unreliable medical source?][unreliable medical source?]
Books and publications
- Frogs Into Princes (Bandler & Grinder, 1979)
- Trance-Formations (Grinder & Bandler, 1981)
- Reframing (Bandler and Grinder, 1982)
- Using Your Brain for a Change (Bandler, 1985)
- Titles authored by Steve and Connirae Andreas include
- Change Your Mind and Keep the Change (1987)
- Heart of the Mind (1989)
- Core Transformation (Connirae & Tamara Andreas, 1994).
- Steve Andreas's more recent works include
- Virginia Satir: The Patterns of Her Magic (1991)
- NLP: The New Technology of Achievement (Charles Faulkner, Kelly Gerling, Tim Hallbom, Robert McDonald, Gerry Schmidt, Suzi Smith ) (1994)
- Transforming Your Self (2002)
- Six Blind Elephants, Volumes I & II (2006)
- Transforming Negative Self-Talk (2012)
- MORE Transforming Negative Self-Talk (2014)
- "Katalog der Deutschen Nationalbibliothek". d-nb.info (in German). Retrieved 2018-02-04.
- "Steve Andreas".
- The Origins of neuro linguistic programming. Grinder, John., Pucelik, R. Frank. Carmarthen [England]: Crown House Pub. 2013. ISBN 9781845908584. OCLC 858577968.
- Stevens, Barry (1970). Don't Push the River. Real People Press. p. 74.
- Andreas, Steve. "Steve Andreas Resume". steveandreas.com. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- Hall, L. Michael (September 12, 2016). "Steve and Connaire Andreas' Contributions to NLP" (PDF). Meta Reflections.
- Wolfgang., Walker, (1998). Abenteuer Kommunikation : Bateson, Perls, Satir, Erickson und die Anfänge des Neurolinguistischen Programmierens (NLP). Stuttgart: Klett-Cotta. p. 25. ISBN 9783608919769. OCLC 75974999.
- "Personals" (PDF). CALTECH NEWS. February 1971.
- McClendon, Terrence. The Wild Days: NLP 1972-1981. Meta Publications. pp. 100–115. ISBN 0-916990-23-0.
- 1967-, Butler-Bowdon, Tom, (2013). The literature of possibility. London: Nicholas Brealey Publishing. ISBN 9781857889352. OCLC 859207679.
- Beaulieu, Danie (2005). "An Introduction to Eye Movement Integration Therapy". European Journal of Clinical Hypnosis.
- Andreas, Steve. Looking Backward (at a few of the bends and dips in the road), 2000. 
- "Board of Trustees Research & Recognition". nlprandr.org. Retrieved 2018-02-04.
- Lisa Wake, Richard Gray, Frank Bourke (2013). The Clinical Effectiveness of Neurolinguistic Programming: A Critical Appraisal. Routledge. ISBN 9781136186639.
- Tylee, Daniel S.; Gray, Richard; Glatt, Stephen J.; Bourke, Frank (2017-09-25). "Evaluation of the reconsolidation of traumatic memories protocol for the treatment of PTSD: a randomized, wait-list-controlled trial". Journal of Military, Veteran and Family Health. doi:10.3138/jmvfh.4120.
- "Reconsolidation of Traumatic Memories for PTSD: A randomized controlled trial of 74 male veterans". Psychotherapy Research. 2017. doi:10.1080/10503307.2017.1408973.
- Gray, Richard M.; Bourke, Frank (2015-10-20). "Remediation of intrusive symptoms of PTSD in fewer than five sessions: a 30-person pre-pilot study of the RTM Protocol". Journal of Military, Veteran and Family Health. doi:10.3138/jmvfh.2996.