Starting out at Pantheon Films he worked on The Parallax View and the original The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, going on to produce Mr. Billion and Butch and Sundance: The Early Days. Moving on to United Artists he was responsible for highly successful films like Raging Bull, The French Lieutenant’s Woman, Stardust Memories, Manhattan, Annie Hall, Eye of the Needle and Cutter and Bone.
However, he was also closely involved in the troublesome production and release of Heaven's Gate (1980). He wrote a book about the ordeal, called Final Cut: Art, Money, and Ego in the Making of Heaven's Gate, the Film That Sank United Artists, where, according to the LA Times, he "was unsparing about his own failures, and those of Cimino, who, by the end of the first six days of shooting, was five days behind schedule and had spent almost a million dollars on 1 1/2 minutes of film." United Artists was sold to MGM while Heaven's Gate was being shown at the Cannes Film Festival. 
His book was made into the 2004 documentary Final Cut: The Making and Unmaking of Heaven's Gate, featuring interviews with Bach and others involved in the production, as well as archival material. 
Bach is the author of The Life and Legend of Marlene Dietrich and Dazzler: The Life and Times of Moss Hart. His biography of the Nazi-associated filmmaker Leni: The Life and Work of Leni Riefenstahl (2007) overturns many of the claims Riefenstahl put forward in her self-defence regarding her contact with Hitler's regime, and was named by The New York Times as one of the best books of 2007.
Bach died of cancer in March 2009. He is survived by his companion, Werner Röhr.
- Final Cut: Dreams and Disaster in the Making of Heaven's Gate, 1985, New York: William Morrow, ISBN 978-0-688-04382-7
- Marlene Dietrich: Life and Legend, 1992, New York: William Morrow, ISBN 978-0-688-07119-6
- Dazzler: The Life and Times of Moss Hart, 2001, New York: Alfred A. Knopf, ISBN 978-0-679-44154-0
- Leni: The Life and Work of Leni Riefenstahl, 2007, New York: Alfred A. Knopf, ISBN 978-0-375-40400-9).
- Grimes, William (March 27, 2009). "Steven Bach, Producer, Biographer and Memoirist, Dies at 70". The New York Times. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Abramowitz, Rachel (March 31, 2009). "Steven Bach dies at 70; United Artists executive, author". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Final Cut - Dreams And Disaster In The Making Of Heaven's Gate by Steven Bach (Starbrite): Starbrite: Free Download, Borrow-Internet Archive
- "Berlinale: 1990 Juries". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "100 Notable Books of 2007". The New York Times. December 2, 2007. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- James, Clive (March 25, 2007). "Leni Riefenstahl — Reich Star". The New York Times. Retrieved November 14, 2018.