Burd (middle) meets with President Barack Obama along with other business leaders on May 12, 2009.
|Born||Steven A. Burd
1949 (age 66–67)
Valley City, North Dakota, U.S.
|Alma mater||Carroll University (B. S.)
University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee (M. A.)
|Occupation||President, Chairman & CEO at Safeway Inc (1992–2013)|
|Political party||Republican|
|Board member of||Kohl's|
Steven A. Burd (born 1949) is an American businessman. He served as Chairman, President and CEO of Safeway Inc. from October 26, 1992 to May 14, 2013. He is a member of the Republican Party.
Burd was President of Safeway from October 26, 1992 until May 14, 2013, and CEO from April 30, 1993 until May 14, 2013. He joined the Board of Directors on September 7, 1993 and served as Chairman of the Board between May 12, 1998 and May 14, 2013. While CEO of Safeway in 2009, he earned a total compensation of $10,901,892, which included a base salary of $1,449,000, a cash bonus of $358,627, stock awards of $491,611 and options granted of $6,922,200. Steven Burd will receive another $7.5 million in stock as a result of the transaction that combines Safeway and Albertsons supermarket chain. 
Burd spearheaded the innovative "Healthy Measures" insurance plan offered to Safeway employees. In this plan, employees get discounts on their health insurance if they show qualified performance in four "tests": tobacco usage, healthy weight, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Employees can get as much as an $800 annual premium reduction. He founded the Coalition to Advance Healthcare Reform in order to promote similar health policies nationally.
Burd is married to Chris and has two children. He is a born-again Christian. 
- "Steve Burd". Nndb.com. 2004-03-01. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "Forbes". Forbes. 2012-04-18. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "Safeway Board of Directors". Safeway.com. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- Steven A. Burd '71, 1996 Distinguished Alumnus Award for Professional Achievement , Carroll University
- A Few of UWM's Noted Alumni, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee
- Steven A Burd, Forbes
- Steven A. Burd, How Safeway Is Cutting Health-Care Costs, The Wall Street Journal, June 12, 2009