Burd (middle) meets with President Barack Obama along with other business leaders on May 12, 2009.
Steven A. Burd|
1949 (age 68–69)
Valley City, North Dakota, U.S.
Carroll University (B. S.)|
University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee (M. A.)
|Occupation||President, Chairman & CEO at Safeway Inc (1992–2013), President & CEO at Burd Health LLC (2013-present)|
|Political party||Republican|
|Board member of||Kohl's|
Steven A. Burd (born 1949) is an American businessman. He served as Chairman, President and CEO of Safeway Inc. from October 26, 1992 to May 14, 2013. He is a member of the Republican Party.
Burd was President of Safeway from October 26, 1992 until May 14, 2013, and CEO from April 30, 1993 until May 14, 2013. He joined the Board of Directors on September 7, 1993 and served as Chairman of the Board between May 12, 1998 and May 14, 2013. While CEO of Safeway in 2009, he earned a total compensation of $10,901,892, which included a base salary of $1,449,000, a cash bonus of $358,627, stock awards of $491,611 and options granted of $6,922,200. Steven Burd will receive another $7.5 million in stock as a result of the transaction that combines Safeway and Albertsons supermarket chain. 
Burd spearheaded the innovative "Healthy Measures" insurance plan offered to Safeway employees. In this plan, employees get discounts on their health insurance if they show qualified performance in four "tests": tobacco usage, healthy weight, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Employees can get as much as an $800 annual premium reduction. He founded the Coalition to Advance Healthcare Reform in order to promote similar health policies nationally.
In January 2010, the Washington Post reported that Burd's assertion in June 2009 that Safeway's per capita health-care costs between 2005 and 2009 were flat was in fact true, but had nothing to do with incentives for employees. Those incentives weren't implemented until 2009, and the company forecast that per capita expenses for its employees would rise by 8.5 percent for the 2009 year.
As of 2013[update], Burd sits on the Board of Directors of Kohl's. In September 2013, Burd also founded Burd Health LLC with the intent to help companies lower the costs of their own healthcare plans.
- "Forbes". Forbes. 2012-04-18. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "Safeway Board of Directors". Safeway.com. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- Steven A. Burd '71, 1996 Distinguished Alumnus Award for Professional Achievement , Carroll University
- A Few of UWM's Noted Alumni, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee
- Steven A Burd, Forbes
- Steven A. Burd, How Safeway Is Cutting Health-Care Costs, The Wall Street Journal, June 12, 2009
- Hilzenrath, David S. (January 17, 2010). "Misleading claims about Safeway wellness incentives shape health-care bill". Washington Post. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Former Safeway President Among East Bay’s Biggest Water Users « CBS San Francisco Retrieved 2016-11-21.