Steven Clemons at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting of the New Champions in 2010
|Born||Steven Craig Clemons
Steven Craig Clemons (born 1962) is an American journalist and blogger. He was appointed Washington editor-at-large of The Atlantic and editor-in-chief of AtlanticLIVE, the magazine's live events series, in May 2011. Clemons also serves as editor-at-large of Quartz, a digital financial publication owned by Atlantic Media.
Clemons also published a political blog, Washington Note, through April 2015. He is a former staff member of Senator Jeff Bingaman. Clemons is also Director of the American Strategy Program at the New America Foundation where he previously served as Executive Vice President, and the former director of the Japan Policy Research Institute  which he co-founded with Chalmers Johnson. The New America Foundation has been described as radical centrist in orientation, and Clemons characterizes himself as a "progressive realist".
Clemons is the former executive vice president of Economic Strategy Institute, former executive director of the Nixon Center for Peace and Freedom (now the Center for the National Interest), and served as Senator Jeff Bingaman's Senior Policy Advisor on Economic and International Affairs. He has also served on the advisory board to the Center for U.S.-Japan Relations at the RAND Corporation. Earlier in his career, Clemons was the executive director of the Japan America Society of Southern California from 1987 to 1994.
In 1993, Clemons was the technical advisor for the film Rising Sun, which starred Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes. Clemons also had a role as a talk show host. He also had a role in the film State of Play, starring Ben Affleck.
Clemons serves on the board of advisors of the C. V. Starr Center for the Study of the American Experience at Washington College in Chestertown, Maryland, and the Clarke Center at Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
Clemons is perhaps best known for his blog The Washington Note, which focused on foreign policy issues and general US policy debates. In 2010, TIME Magazine selected Clemons' blog as one of TIME's Best Blogs of the year.
- FishbowlNY (2011). Steve Clemons Named Editor-in-Chief of AtlanticLIVE. Retrieved June 3, 2011.
- "Aspen Ideas Festival Speaker". Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Quartz Homepage". Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "The Washington Note". The Washington Note. Retrieved July 29, 2016.
- "Japan Policy Research Institute". Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- Remembering the life and work of Chalmers Johnson. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- Morin, Richard; Deane, Claudia (10 December 2001). "Big Thinker. Ted Halstead’s New America Foundation Has It All: Money, Brains and Buzz". The Washington Post, Style section, p. 1.
- "diavlogs". Bloggingheads.tv. 2012-04-26. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
-  Archived February 6, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Steve Clemons: State of Play?". Huffingtonpost.com. March 10, 2008. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- "The C.V. Starr Center for the Study of the American Experience". Starrcenter.washcoll.edu. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- "The Washington Note". The Washington Note. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- "Best Blogs of 2010 The Washington Note by Dan Fletcher". Time. June 28, 2010. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "Steve Clemons: Paul Wolfowitz Busy Neo-Conning the World Bank: Staff Rebellion Brewing". Huffingtonpost.com. January 20, 2006. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- "Clemons: Indictments tomorrow". Daily Kos. October 25, 2005. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- http://www.newamerica.net/people/steven_clemons Steven C. Clemons Director, American Strategy Program] - New America Foundation Bio
- JPRI - Officers - Japan Research Policy Institute Bio
- Cheney presses on despite diminished clout Mercurynews.com, November 10, 2005
- Steven Clemons Is Shrill (For Good Reason) Discourse.net, November 8, 2005
- Ben Merens' Radio show Wisconsin Public Radio, June 20, 2005
- John Bolton Suffers Setback In Bid to Become UN Ambassador democracynow.org, May 13, 2005
- Op-Eds, Articles and Think Tanks for Sale: Thoughts on the Corruption of Washington's Ideas Industry, The Washington Note, December 16, 2005
- UNSUBSTANTIATED ALLEGATIONS OF WRONGDOING INVOLVING THE CLINTON ADMINISTRATION, US House of Representatives, March 2001
- INVESTIGATION OF POLITICAL FUNDRAISING IMPROPRIETIES AND POSSIBLE VIOLATIONS OF LAW, US House of Representatives, November 5, 1998
- House GOP Releases Documents On Trie CNN, February 26, 1998
- talkingpointsmemo.com - Josh Marshall's blog, for which Clemons briefly wrote