Steven Forrest (astrologer)
January 6, 1949|
Mount Vernon, New York, United States
|Occupation||Astrologer, author and lecturer|
Steven Forrest (born January 6, 1949) is an American astrologer, author and lecturer. He is the author of nearly a dozen astrological books and one of the founders of the school of Evolutionary Astrology, described by Forrest as "a form of psychological astrology which is integrated with metaphysics. Where a twentieth century psychological astrologer might focus on the dynamics of childhood, the evolutionary astrologer focuses on the childhood of the soul—prior lifetimes, and the issues left unresolved from them."
Since 1998 Forrest has taught students via apprenticeship programs in Northern and Southern California, North Carolina, Italy, Switzerland and Australia. He has also taught at the Omega Institute for Holistic Studies, The New York Open Center, and the Marion Foundation as well as addressed the Fellows at Andrew Weil's Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona Medical Center in Tucson.
Forrest began practicing astrology professionally in 1976 and in 1981 was asked by Bantam Books to write his first book, The Inner Sky. Published the following year, it was greeted with positive reviews from The Los Angeles Times and Esquire magazine which called it a "truly outstanding" book that is "intelligent, well-written and actually fun." Astrologer April Kent said of Forrest's The Inner Sky, "If I could have one astrology book with me on a deserted island, this would be it." It was also praised by the musician Sting, who said that Forrest "manages to disarm the skeptic, as well as debunk the charlatanism that surrounds popular astrology, with language that is as intelligent and cogent as it is poetic."
Forrest has served on the Ethics Committee for the International Society for Astrological Research, as well as the Chair of the Kepler College Advisory Council. In 1985 he won the Professional Astrologers Incorporated Award for "Outstanding Contribution to the Art and Science of Astrology," and in 1992, 1995, and 2008 was nominated for a United Astrology Congress Regulus Award.
Astrologer Rob Brezsny calls Steven Forrest "the most brilliant astrologer alive," and Jungian analyst Robert A. Johnson proclaimed that Forrest's reading of his astrological birth chart was "one of the greatest events of my life. . . you have restored the divine art to its noble status."
Forrest practices what he calls Evolutionary Astrology, a term that he used in his 1984 book, The Inner Sky. Raymond Merriman originally coined the term in his 1977 limited edition book Evolutionary Astrology, and the term was also popularized by Jeffrey Wolf Green in his 1985 book, Pluto: The Evolutionary Journey of the Soul. While the techniques of these three astrologers are distinctly unique, they all assume that the present birth chart derives from conditions experienced in prior lifetimes. Other astrological writers in the same period, such as Stephen Arroyo, A. T. Mann and Martin Schulman, also explored similar concepts without employing the specific term Evolutionary Astrology.
According to Forrest, Evolutionary Astrology is "the fusion of humanistic psychology on one hand with ancient metaphysics on the other hand. We assume, as we look at a chart in the evolutionary context, that the person has this birth chart for a reason ... and that built into your chart is a description of what we might think of as an evolutionary predicament or a karmic predicament — a set of illusions that you have, a set of issues you may have, things you need to work on, things that can trip you up ... and then most importantly, the birth chart will describe 'the medicine' ... a kind of experiential recipe that you can follow in order to optimally empower yourself, heal the wounded places in your psyche, and get on with your journey."
Forrest calls Evolutionary Astrology "utterly practical, utterly testable," and "the most verifiable form of astrology that I have ever encountered." In a 2009 interview with astrologer and All Music Guide founder Michael Erlewine, Forrest stated that "When astrologers hear that Evolutionary Astrology is about reincarnation, they often react as if it must all be woo-woo. Actually it is a very hard-hitting form of psychological astrology: intense, but compassionate. And imminently verifiable in the present-tense of people’s lives."
Actor Robert Downey, Jr. has praised Forrest's work with Evolutionary Astrology, saying “I marvel at the accuracy of Steven’s readings. He insists that nothing is so grave as to be beyond repair, and correspondingly that there is no rainbow that won’t be evaporated by poor judgment in the now. I can’t recommend him highly enough.”
Position on fate
Forrest takes a radical position on the nature of fate and free will within the field of astrology. Forrest states that "I unabashedly preach the primacy of free will in shaping our experience. In some more 'deterministic' astrological circles, this is blasphemy. I am personally confident that we humans are capable of changing ourselves, capable of evolution. None of us is limited to a 'nature' that is cast in stone by the positions of the planets. As we change ourselves, we make different choices and thus create different futures."
Commenting on his strong emphasis on choice and free will, O, The Oprah Magazine declared that "Forrest's approach . . . stops the blame game in its tracks. . . we're warriors fulfilling our turbulent evolutionary paths."
Books by Forrest
- The Inner Sky: How to Make Wiser Choices for a More Fulfilling Life. 2nd. ed. Borrego Springs: Seven Paws Press. 1984/2007 ISBN 978-0979067716
- The Changing Sky: Creating Your Future with Transits, Progressions and Evolutionary Astrology. 2nd. ed. Borrego Springs: Seven Paws Press. 1986/2008 ISBN 978-0979067723
- The Night Speaks: A Meditation on the Astrological World View. San Diego: ACS Publications. 1993 ISBN 978-0935127256
- The Book of Pluto: Finding Wisdom in Darkness with Astrology. 2nd ed. Borrego Springs: Seven Paws Press. 1995/2013 ISBN 978-0979067761
- Stalking Anubis. Borrego Springs: Seven Paws Press. 2002 ISBN 978-0964911369
- Yesterday's Sky: Astrology and Reincarnation. Borrego Springs: Seven Paws Press. 2008/2012 ISBN 978-0979067730
- The Book of the Moon: Discovering Astrology's Lost Dimension. Borrego Springs: Seven Paws Press. 2010 ISBN 978-0979067747
- The Book of Neptune. Borrego Spring: Seven Paws Press. 2016 ISBN 978-1939510914
- Jodie Forrest and Steven Forrest. Skymates: Love, Sex and Evolutionary Astrology. 2nd ed. Borrego Springs: Seven Paws Press. 1988/2002 ISBN 978-0964911352
- Steven Forrest and Jeffrey Wolf Green. Measuring the Night: Evolutionary Astrology and the Keys to the Soul, Volume One. Borrego Springs: Seven Paws Press. 2000 ISBN 978-0964911338
- Steven Forrest and Jeffrey Wolf Green. Measuring the Night: Evolutionary Astrology and the Keys to the Soul, Volume Two. Borrego Springs: Seven Paws Press. 2000 ISBN 978-0964911345
- Jhampa Shaneman and Jan V. Angel. Buddhist Astrology: Chart Interpretation from a Buddhist Perspective. Llewellyn Publications. 2003 ISBN 978-0738703152
- Rafael Nasser. Under One Sky. Borrego Springs: Seven Paws Press. 2004 ISBN 978-0964911376
- Jodie Forrest and Steven Forrest Skymates II: The Composite Chart (Volume 2) Borrego Springs: Seven Paws Press. 2005 ISBN 978-0964911383
- "Fate and Freedom: A Middle Path." The Mountain Astrologer. February 1997
- "The Bright (and Cloudy) Dawn of a New Age." The Sun. May 1980
- "Electional Astrology: The Fine Art of Seizing the Moment." The Mountain Astrologer. March 2001
- "Astrology and Reincarnation." The Mountain Astrologer. August 2005
- "The New Solar System." The Mountain Astrologer. August 2007
- "The Out of Bounds Moon." The Mountain Astrologer. June 2010
- Steven Forrest Astrology
- What is Evolutionary Astrology?
- Interview with Steven Forrest and Marc Jones
- Lecture: The Future of Astrology
- An Astrological Renaissance?
- Forrest Trained Astrologers
- Forrest, Steven (2012). Yesterday's Sky: Astrology and Reincarnation. Borrego Springs, CA: Seven Paws Press. pp. 24,25,340. ISBN 978-0-9790677-3-0. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- Howard, Tony. "Apprentice with Steven". Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Omega Institute for Holistic Studies. "Teachers". Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Crowder, Rhonda (February 2003). "Interview: Jodie & Steven Forrest on Synastry and Relationship Astrology". The Meta Arts: The Magazine for the Metaphysical, Spiritual and Healing Communities. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Erlewine, Michael (January 1, 2009). "Matrix Interview with Astrologer Steven Forrest". The Matrix Interviews: Astrologers in Person. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (May 30, 1971). "University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Annual Commencement ". UNC University Library, Digital Archive. North Carolina Digital Heritage Center. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Kristiana, Gregory. "Soft Cover." The Los Angeles Times. October 14, 1984, p. T6
- "Recommended Reading." Esquire. October 1984. p. 276.
- Kent, April (2011). The Essential Guide to Practical Astrology. NY: Alpha Books (Penguin Group). p. 385. ISBN 978-1615640935. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Chen, Howard Henry. "Stars of Astrology." The News & Observer. December 5, 1997, p. D1
- Brezsny, Rob (October 1, 2002). "Free Will Astrology Horoscope". The Village Voice. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Forrest, Steven (2016). The Book of Neptune. Borrego Springs, CA: Seven Paws Press. p. 1. ISBN 978-1939510914. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- Forrest, Steven (2012) . The Inner Sky: How to Make Wiser Choices for a More Fulfilling Life. Borrego Springs, CA: Seven Paws Press. p. 38. ISBN 9780979067716. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- Arroyo, Stephen (1992). Astrology, Karma & Transformation: The Inner Dimensions of the Birth Chart. Petaluma, CA: CRCS Publications. pp. 4, 229–238. ISBN 978-0916360542. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- Mann, A. T. (2006) . The Divine Life: Astrology and Reincarnation (Revised Edition). Hudson: ATMann ebooks. pp. 281–310. ISBN 1-84333-463-1. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- Schulman, Martin (1975). Karmic Astrology, Volume 1: The Moon's Nodes and Reincarnation. York Beach, ME: Samuel Weiser, Inc. pp. 9–26. ISBN 978-0877282884. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- Forrest, Steven (June 22, 2011). What is Evolutionary Astrology? (Vimeo). Raven Dreams Productions.
- Muthanna, Anjali (April 20, 2012). "Celebs seek guidance from the stars". The Times of India. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- "Robert Downey Jr". GoGoMix. Retrieved June 2, 2015.[dead link]
- Glock, Allison. "Resentment Rising." O, The Oprah Magazine. March 2002. p. 206.