Steven G. Poskanzer
This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Poskanzer at his 2010 inauguration
|11th President of Carleton College|
|Preceded by||Robert A. Oden|
|6th President of State University of New York at New Paltz|
|Preceded by||Roger Bowen|
|Succeeded by||Donald Christian|
|Alma mater||Princeton University
Steven Poskanzer, also known by his nickname of Stevie P. is the 11th President of Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota. Previously he was chief of staff to the president at the University of Chicago for four years, then spent 12 years at the State University of New York at New Paltz where he served as President from 2001 until 2010, when he became Carleton's president.
He has served as a Commissioner of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and on the boards of directors for Mid-Hudson Pattern for Progress, the Mohonk Mountain House, the Mohonk Preserve, and St. Luke's Cornwall Hospital.
Poskanzer began his academic career as a lawyer in the general counsel's office at the University of Pennsylvania, and his research activities have included academic freedom and other issues of higher education law. His book entitled Higher Education Law: The Faculty was published in 2002 by the Johns Hopkins University Press.
He graduated cum laude from Princeton University in 1980, with a degree from the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs and a concentration in African studies; he went on to earn his J.D. from Harvard University in 1983.
Poskanzer became Carleton’s 11th president in August, 2010.
- "The Man, the Legend: Stevie P." Carleton Admissions. Carleton College, n.d. Web. 31 Oct. 2014.
- "Biography". New Paltz, New York: State University of New York at New Paltz. Retrieved April 28, 2013.
- Jenna Ross, "Listening, then leading at Carleton", Star Tribune, November 4, 2010.
- Beth Kormanik, "UNF candidate Poskanzer defends academic freedom", The Florida Times-Union, April 22, 2003.
- Benjamin Baez, "Higher Education Law: The Faculty (review)", The Journal of Higher Education, vol. 75, no. 4., July/August 2004.
- "About the President". Northfield, Minnesota: Carleton College. Retrieved April 27, 2011.
- Steven Poskanzer CV (accessed 2017-12-11).
|This biography of an American academic administrator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|