Steven Hall (born 1975 in Derbyshire) is a British author. He has written one novel, produced a number of plays, music videos, concrete prose/conceptual art pieces, and short stories.
His debut novel, The Raw Shark Texts won the 2008 Somerset Maugham Award and a 2007 Borders Original Voices Award, and was shortlisted for the 2008 Arthur C. Clarke Award. The book has been translated into 29 different languages, and a screenplay for a film adaptation has been written by Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire).
Hall has written for Granta Magazine and Lonely Planet. Hall has also written screenplays for audio or radio dramas of Doctor Who. Hall is also the lead writer for the videogame Crysis 3 (2013) and the lead writer for the videogame Ryse: Son of Rome (2013).
In 2007, Hall was named as one of Waterstone's "25 Authors for the Future". In 2010, Hall was named as one of the best 20 novelists under 40 by The Daily Telegraph. In 2013, Hall was named as one of Granta's "Best of Young British Novelists 2013" out of 20 novelists listed in total.
According to his website, Hall is "currently working on his second novel, an infinite text about the death of print and linear narrative, titled The End of Endings (which he published a shortened version of in Granta 123, during 2013), "adapting his short piece Stories for a Phone Book into an interactive film/series", and "developing a top secret project for the National Theater."
- "Stories for a Phone Book", in New Writing 13 (2005)
- The Raw Shark Texts (2007)
- "The Word Lord", in Doctor Who: Forty-Five (2008)
- "What I Think About When I Think About Robots", in Granta 109: Work (2010)
- Doctor Who: A Death in the Family (2010)
- Crysis 3 (2013)
- "The End of Endings", in Granta 123: Best of Young British Novelists 4 (2013)
- Ryse: Son of Rome (2013)
Awards and prizes
- Borders Original Voices Award (2007) for The Raw Shark Texts
- Somerset Maugham Award (2008) for The Raw Shark Texts
- Waterstones 25 authors for the Future.
- Steven Hall - Biography, http://www.rawsharktexts.com/biography
- The Film Stage, Simon Beaufoy Adapting Sci-Fi Novel ‘Raw Shark Texts’; ‘Sharp Teeth’ Still on the Table, http://thefilmstage.com/news/simon-beaufoy-adapting-sci-fi-novel-raw-shark-texts-sharp-teeth-still-on-the-table/
- Granta, Contributors - Steven Hall, http://www.granta.com/Contributors/Steven-Hall
- British Council on Literature, http://literature.britishcouncil.org/steven-hall
- CMT Artists, Steven Hall, http://www.cmt.com/artists/steven-hall-3/biography/
- Starburst, Interview: Steven Hall, Writer of CRYSIS 3, http://www.starburstmagazine.com/features/interviews/4572-interview-steven-hall-crysis-3
- Analog Science Fiction and Fact, Interview with Crysis 3 writer, Steven Hall, http://www.analogsf.com/reviews/Crysis3_interview.shtml
- Gamewise Credits, Ryse: Son of Rome, http://gamewise.co/games/33518/Ryse-Son-of-Rome/Credits
- BBC News, UK authors of the future unveiled, The book industry has chosen 25 authors as the future of British writing, http://www.chrissimms.info/waterstones25/waterstones25.htm
- Lorna Bradbury, The Telegraph, Are these Britain’s best 20 novelists under 40?http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/7835258/Are-these-Britains-best-20-novelists-under-40.html
- Dan Lewis, Waterstones Blog, Granta’s Best of Young British Novelists 2013 announced, http://www.waterstones.com/blog/2013/04/grantas-best-of-young-british-novelists-2013-announced/
- Steven Hall, The End of Endings, http://www.granta.com/Archive/123/The-End-of-Endings
- Steven Hall, Biography, http://www.rawsharktexts.com/biography
- Stories for a Phone Book, Steven Hall Forum, http://forums.steven-hall.org/yaf_postst124_Stories-for-a-Phone-Book.aspx
- "The Raw Shark Texts". HarperCollins. 2007. Retrieved 2007-05-18.
- "UK authors of the future unveiled". BBC News. 2007-05-17. Retrieved 2010-05-24.